soscmd is unable to login correctly

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

edvler

soscmd is unable to login correctly

Post by edvler » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:24 am

I'm using SOS 4.0 Server and Client and run the commandline client (also from 4.0 Client Installation) for automatic daily builds.

I've set SOSHOME to C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\ApplicationData\SourceGear\SOS
and called eg.
soscmd -command GetProject -server MySOSServer:8890 -name MyVSSUser -password "" -alias "My SourceSafe" -project $/MyProject -recursive

Then I've received an error message
Unexpected server message after login. Expected a 300 Success, but got a 420 (FailedDatabaseOpen)
Server Message Body = ╚}ÂÎWÊ┘~§▬!dz♣↓0[,h♠úä♫ ÷½¶L♀ý2©A.

In the Server Log there're some lines regarding this command

16.03.2004 09:58:49 - 39: Exception during Login: The SourceSafe database path MyVSSUser does not exist. Please select another database.
16.03.2004 09:58:49 - 39: The SourceSafe database path MyVSSUser does not exist. Please select another database.

With soscmd 3.5 it looks better :?

Is it a bug?

Thanks in advance
Horst Triebenbacher

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:54 pm

I ran a similar command with no problem, so there may be a configuration issue. Can you do this get with the GUI client?

I'm a little confused about this log file entry:
"The SourceSafe database path MyVSSUser does not exist. Please select another database." Does the log actually say "MyVSSUser" or is this an edit from you? Should it be "MySourceSafe?".

Error 420 is a "failed to open database" error. This error message means the SourceSafe database could not be opened for some reason. Please verify that the -alias parameter is correct.

Or try the command with the -database parameter instead of -alias.

Is the SOS Server on the same machine as the VSS database?

If not, try using the UNC pathname (\\machine\path\to\srcsafe.ini file) for the database.

To find out what the exact database path is, run the following command:

soscmd -command GetDatabases -server servername:port

The database name returned by this command is the name that should be
used for the -database parameter.

If you continue to experience difficulty, email me your log.txt file.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

john_p

Same Issue

Post by john_p » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:55 am

I am experiencing exactly the same issue. It seems as though the soscmd is sending the username where the server expects the database. Did anyone find a way to resolve this issue? The SOS GUI Client has no trouble connecting and I tried the full UNC path to the ini file as well.

Thanks
John Pepper
Last edited by john_p on Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heath

Post by heath » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:08 pm

SOSCMD is NOT sending the username where the server expects the database path. It is a known bug in the VSS Automation Component.

Sorry I can't help with the actual problem.
Go Illini!

john_p

Same Issue

Post by john_p » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:23 pm

Thank you for your response. Do you know where I can find any documentation on the VSS automation issue? I am a bit confused as to how this is possible since the GUI client connects to the server without error. If I understand the mechanism correctly, the server component communicates with the VSS database via automation and both the gui client and command line client communicate with the server. So if automation is the issue, why does the GUI work and the command line not work?

Thanks
John Pepper

john_p

Post by john_p » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:40 pm

Sorry All. I was specifying the database PATH in a way that SOS was not expecting

JP