Diff is not working with Histories

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

djsloan

Diff is not working with Histories

Post by djsloan » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:53 pm

When I do a history on a file, I can not do a diff on the version I have on my local machine and with an older version. I also can not do a diff between versions in the history. Also I can not get an older version out of VSS, however I can do all of these things when I use the VSS Client.
Danial Sloan

heath

Re: Diff is not working with Histories

Post by heath » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:45 pm

djsloan wrote:When I do a history on a file, I can not do a diff on the version I have on my local machine and with an older version. I also can not do a diff between versions in the history. Also I can not get an older version out of VSS, however I can do all of these things when I use the VSS Client.
What happens when you try? Do you get an error message or any output in the message window? Does it crash?

Check the log file on the server. It probably tells you why it is failing and would likely help SG tech support diagnose the problem.
Go Illini!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:47 pm

What version of SOS are you using? If you are using SOS 3.5.3, what diff tool is configured?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

djsloan

Diff not working

Post by djsloan » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:54 pm

The version I am using is 4.0

I don't get an error message, it just seems to hang, but it is doing nothing. If I hit cancel, the mouse still stays as an hourglass. I have to actually hit the "Stop Current Operation" which the tool tip actually says Stop Current Operation" to get rid of the hour glass.

If I hit the Diff button multiple times I get the messagebox the says "Unable to create directory for diff."

When I checked the log file it say's "3/22/2004 4:57:21 PM - 1: Exception getting file. Version not found"

The version is in the History and I get the difference using the VSS Client. I am using Visual SourceSafe 6.0d

I have the diff program as "C:\Program Files\SourceOffSite\sgdm.exe"
The Show Differences from the tool bar, right click popup, ctrl+F, and the tools menu it all work for showing the differences between the Remote Version and the Local Version.
Danial Sloan

heath

Post by heath » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:20 am

I believe this is a VSS 6.0d issue. The automation component often has trouble getting history under certain conditions with 6.0d.

Make sure you have all hotfixes and other patches available. Alternatively, 6.0c should work also.
Go Illini!

djsloan

Uninstalled 6.0d and installed 6.0c service pack 6

Post by djsloan » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:03 pm

The history diff and get are now working. I can now continue my evaluation. How do I get an extension on the time allowed. It is set to expire on the 9th of April and I have just started the evaluation last week.

I would like to have the eval peroid last until at least the end of April.
Danial Sloan