Getting Latest Version (Server closed connection)

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

GeoffMorris

Post by GeoffMorris » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:10 am

Hi,

I'm having a problem doing a "Get Latest Version": sometimes I get a project successfully (rarely), but mostly just one or two modified files are received, then nothing but an hour glass cursor, and then after several minutes I get a "Server Closed Connection" message.

Currently, I'm using an WinXP dialup (Connexant SoftV92 internal modem) internet connection, and I'm convinced SourceOffsite isn't my problem, as last week SourceOffsite was working perfectly using DSL from this computer (and I've had a peer check that the server is working normally).

What I'm hoping for, is that you may have heard of this problem before, or can make some suggestions as to what may be occurring? I've tried the default and latest modem drivers, and have disabled the XP firewall.

Thanks,
Geoff.

GeoffMorris

Post by GeoffMorris » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:18 am

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I'm using version 3.5.2.

Regards,
Geoff.

RichieRich

Post by RichieRich » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:34 am

I've had the same problem using the same version for a good while now. Despite several emails to/from Tech Support the problem has never gone away.

Here's an extract from their reply which sums it up.

This definitely looks like a firewall or some other network device is
closing connections after a period of inactivity. You've no doubt noticed
the "warning" in the message pane that downloading the project tree may be a lengthy process. The time needed is not a function of the transfer from the SOS server to the client, but rather a reflection of the inefficiency
of the SourceSafe automation API. The process of generating the tree data on the server side takes so long that the connection is being killed by a third party (as evidenced by the "Connection reset by peer" messages in the log).

Make sure that no anti-virus software is running on the databases for a start as this may delay it. Unfortunately I've been scratching my head far too often on this and can't see anything else affecting the transfer. If you do find out anything I'd be very interested to hear it....hopefully v4 will be better in this instance but after speaking to Tech Support about v4 it doesn't look too promising.

Good luck

GeoffMorris

Post by GeoffMorris » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:57 pm

Thanks RichieRich for your feedback,

I didn't think to disable Norton AntiVirus, but it didn't help in this case.

I've used SourceOffsite successfully using dialup and a Conexant modem before. But this was with Win98.

I doubt that the trouble is with the server taking too long to process my request, as I'm familiar with dialup connection SourceOffsite success, and know our server doesn't take several minutes to respond, nor that long for SourceOffsite to complete tasks.

I suspect that there is a problem with my configuration of XP. Even without a firewall or virus protection software, it seems that my computer is denying responses from the server (randomly when it feels like it). On the XP Dialup Status Dialog, there are no activity errors reported, and once I get the hour glass cursor in SourceOffsite, no bytes are received on the connection, and periodically a few bytes are sent.

Interestingly, the problem appears to be with batch (large) operations. I can consistently check out, undo check out, refresh the project tree, get single files without problems. Once, I was unable to checkin in one file, but not others (in the same project) ...

It's very odd, but I don't think SourceOffsite is my problem. I'm just hoping for suggestions ...

Thanks,
Geoff.

GeoffMorris

Post by GeoffMorris » Sat May 15, 2004 6:45 pm

Update:

The problem is repeatable with XP using SOS GUI client (dialup connection) connecting to our SOS server.

XP's Firewall is disabled.
The SOS command line client works with our SOS server.
The SOS GUI client works fine with SourceGear's demo database.
Four modem models tested with XP (all supposedly compatible).
A packet sniffer didn't reveal any obvious errors on the client.
The verbose SOS server log contains "Socket read failed" and "Socket write failed" messages.

So, I gather that our SOS server is configurated in such a way that the SOS GUI client isn't happy about, because the SOS command line client works? I don't know whether the solution lies with the SOS GUI client or SOS server or some other problem on our server?

I'd welcome suggestions as what to try next. Thanks.

Geoff Morris

Command Line Client CheckInFile Fails

Post by Geoff Morris » Tue May 18, 2004 4:58 pm

Update:

The SOS (3.5.3) command line client sometimes fails with the checkin file command. The client verbose output doesn't display any errors, but the SOS Server (3.5.3) log file shows a "Socket Read Failed" error.

And for a recursive GetProject, why would soscmd always succeed, and the GUI always fail? :?

corey

Post by corey » Wed May 19, 2004 3:04 pm

It still feels like your dialup connection may be getting dropped when there is a long wait on the server end before the server starts to send back data. Depending upon how you use the Command Line Client, it can start receiving data back sooner than the GUI Client, which could possibly explain why its not having the same problem.

When the GUI Client does a recursive Get, it first requests updated file lists, which can take a while for the server to generate depending upon the size and history of your projects in VSS.

Are you dialing in to an ISP or directly into your company? Is it possible for you to check on the dialup parameters on the remote end?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC