Best practice for adding existing web project to VS solution

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

blehenbauer

Best practice for adding existing web project to VS solution

Post by blehenbauer » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:59 am

I have an existing web project that is checked into source control that I would like to add to a Visual Studio solution that is bound to source offsite.

When I choose File->Source Control->Add Project From Source control and select the web project, I get the message, "The local folder you chose to store your solution contains one or more solution files that have the same name as those in the source control server folder." I choose "Overwrite." I then have the option to set the project location, so I set it to the existing location, and I get the error, "One or more of the projects destination paths are invalide.. The error returned was 'The web at "http://localhost/myproject" already contains a project." I select OK. I delete the project files (.csproj, *.csproj.webinfo) at "http://localhost/myproject/" and follow the above steps again. The project is added, but it is not under source control.

Can you help me to find where I am going wrong in the above steps?

Thanks,
Bonnie

corey

Post by corey » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:47 pm

I think an "Add project from source control" assumes that the project does not already exist on your local machine. Try (backing up first) removing the project from your local machine and then doing the add and see if that makes a difference.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

amirs66

Re: Best practice for adding existing web project to VS solution

Post by amirs66 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:29 am

I have the same problem - it keeps sending this annoying message "the local folder you chose to store your solution contain one or more solution fiels that have the same name as those in the source control server folder". When I define new empty local folder and run - get latest version from server on next openning of project I get the same message. Change done by my colleague is automaticaly shown i.e. i do not need to click to get latest version. What is wrong? All was done well from beginning - project added to tfs server - virtual space created, local folder mapped. We had to add some .dll we were using like those for ajax otherwise project would not work. How to deal then with .sln and .vbp files? anyone to help, please.

Beth

Re: Best practice for adding existing web project to VS solution

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:16 am

project added to tfs server
I don't recall SourceOffSite being able to pull data from TFS. Did I miss something?

I'm going to assume you actually meant VSS with SOS. If the web project was added outside of Visual Studio, then I would suggest performing a Get on it, then perform an Add Existing Website but pull it from disk instead of SourceControl, then use the Change Source Control function to manually bind it back to SOS.

If it's not already in VSS, then perform an Add Existing Website but pull it from disk, then you will be given the option to check it into source control.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support