Install problem with 4.0 client

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

paul

Install problem with 4.0 client

Post by paul » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:56 pm

I had previously installed preview 1 of the 4.0 client. Now when I attempt to install the production release of 4.0 by dbl-clicking the msi file, I get a message to the effect that it can't find "SosClientProfressional_Preview_1.msi"

The same message is produced when I try to uninstall the 4.0 client using add/remove programs. I assume this installation is the preview 1 installation. Apparently I deleted this particular msi file and now need it again before upgrading to the release(?).

Thanks,
Paul

paul

Post by paul » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:37 pm

Ok, I got it to work by renaming the GUID for the SOS install package in the registry - scary.

-Paul

heath

Post by heath » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:07 am

Windows Installer caches a copy of the installation file used so that you can do reinstalls, repairs, and uninstalls without having to have the original file. If you somehow deleted this cached copy of the preview installer then you would get this error.

Changing the GUID like you did is one way to "Fool" windows into thinking that the product (preview release 1) is not installed. Alternatively, you could have deleted all registry keys related to the preview and the files that were installed. Deleting the keys would remove the preview release from your Add/Remove programs.
Go Illini!