SourceOffSite 4.0, removable drives and database1.sos

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

JulianB

SourceOffSite 4.0, removable drives and database1.sos

Post by JulianB » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:16 am

We have a user that uses an external hard drive for working folders and moves the drive between locations. It is possible to configure where SOS 4.0 stores the database1.sos and index.sos files so we can put them on the removable drive?
With SOS 3.5 these files were created in the application install directory so we could instal SOS on the removable drive. SOS 4 puts them in the "application data" directory.

Regards,
Julian

Geoff Hall

Post by Geoff Hall » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:57 pm

Hi Julian,

The index.sos file in the application area identifies database1.sos without a path, presumably, identifying the current directory. You may be able to add a path to that name to allow the database file go anywhere. (I'd stop the client and back up that directory before trying it, though :D )

Regards,
Geoff

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:35 pm

Hmm. Don't think this will work. SOS automatically looks for the path C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS\servers\

If you edit the path in the index file, SOS just appends to the path above.

Let us know if you get different results.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:37 pm

I'm the Guest that posted above.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

JulianB

Post by JulianB » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:25 am

Editing index.sos does not work.

My work around (hack) is to provide my own implementation of SHGetFolderPathA for sos.exe to call that returns the path we want. This appears to be working well for us.

Perhaps a mechanism for setting the path to be used by SOS could be logged as a feature request by SourceGear for future consideration.

Regards,
Julian

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:54 am

I'll log this as a feature request for consideration for a future release of SOS.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager