Problem with Get Latest Version

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Truth

Problem with Get Latest Version

Post by Truth » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:43 pm

I've recently installed v4.2, and am using it integrated with VS2005.

Whenever I do a Get Latest Version, or Get, I get a message stating " X file(s) could not be merged. Would you like to see a list of those files?"

When I say yes, I see a list of files. When I click on Show Merge, nothing happens. Occasionally, VS2005 will report that SourceOnSite has crashed, and that source control is disabled.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Carl.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:22 pm

Have the files in the working directory been modified -- or has the timestamp been changed since you last retrieved the files from SOS?

SOS may be try to merge files if it thinks the local files have changed.

If you haven't modified local files, and just want to get latest, you could get latest with the "overwrite" option, rather than "attemp automatic merge."

This setting is in VS 2005 under Tools->Options->Source Control->Plugin Settings-> Advanced->Files->Handle Conflicts with Modified local files.

If you continue to experience difficulty, post the steps that reproduce the problem plus screen shots that may help us see what's going on.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Truth

Post by Truth » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:42 pm

There's two courses of action that I took to get this problem:

1. Being a new user of SOS, I wanted to compare it to VSS. I checked out a form, and added a button to it. I compiled it, ran it, and then did an undo check out. SOS did undo the check out, but my local copy of the code still had that newly added button. VSS in that case would have overwritten my local copy. I then tried to do a Get Latest Version (several times), and got the error, which is why I posted here.

I did try the get latest with overwrite, and that worked fine.

2. Whenever I do a get latest on the whole solution, each project reports that all of its files could not be merged. The versions are identical between local and the server, so I'm confused as to why Get Latest would even be attempting to merge files.

Thank you,

Carl.

dev731

Re: Problem with Get Latest Version

Post by dev731 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:38 am

[quote="Truth"]I've recently installed v4.2, and am using it integrated with VS2005.

Whenever I do a Get Latest Version, or Get, I get a message stating " X file(s) could not be merged. Would you like to see a list of those files?"

When I say yes, I see a list of files. When I click on Show Merge, nothing happens. Occasionally, VS2005 will report that SourceOnSite has crashed, and that source control is disabled.
[/quote]

yap, same with VS2008. Sometimes some files, or even whole solution turns status to 'unknown'. Then get latest can't merge, you press view files, then press show merge, and you get sos crashed.

get latest with overwrite is not much of a help, because you can't apply that to whole project if you have edited some files

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:28 am

Is this reproducible -- does it happen every time?

Same questions we asked Truth:

Have the files in the working directory been modified -- or has the timestamp been changed since you last retrieved the files from SOS?

SOS may be try to merge files if it thinks the local files have changed.

What OS is your client on?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dev731

Post by dev731 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:05 am

i'm on windows xp sp3 pro, with .net 3.5(without latest sp1)
once file turns into 'unknown' this happens always. But for me the crash is not essential at all. The bigger problem is the status of file. In user guide it's stated that file is 'unknown' if it was retrieved using VSS or smth, but I am just not able to use VSS it all, I use SOS. The latest files I noticed to be unknown were those that were checked in by other person(he is using VSS). But that was also the case few more times, when I probably changed timezone of local computer in control panel. You can turn on checksum checking of files, then you don't see status 'unknown' in sos, but files still can't be merged(eventhough they have same content)

also, if I edit file, then make check in, and after that get latest, it says file has been modified and needs to be merged. Files are identical, except for dates. But I wasn't able to repro it immediately. Such files seem to be marked as renegades, but I didn't explicitly do anything to them. Usually they are edited, checked in, and them I reget them from server. Also other files checked in from different workstation sometimes are marked as renegades.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Time zone changes on the machine could be responsible for some of this. but Get Latest shouldn't result in an Unknown or Renegade file. The default Get is "Attempt automatic merge," so if SOS thinks the file has been modifed (because the timestamp has changed) it won't actually get the latest version. And if the file hasn't actually been modified, it can't be merged.

If you do a Get Latest with the Overwrite option, do you still see this behavior?
If so, we'd really need to do a remote assist session to see what's going on.

Email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda if you'd like to pursue this further.

Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

dev731

Post by dev731 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:07 am

i didn't run into this problems for say a week now. Overwriting unknown file helps it, but if you have whole project in 'unknown' state, then you just can't overwrite all files, as some of them have been modified. Neither you can choose individual option for every file(when there are thousands of files)