Action hangs using DIFF in file history

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kiteboard

Action hangs using DIFF in file history

Post by kiteboard » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:17 pm

I am evaluating the SOS 4.0. When I do a diff in file history of a file around 100K(text file), the action just hangs. I get an hour glass.

This works fine if a file is under 50K.

The database is created with version 6.0c.

kiteboard

Post by kiteboard » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:48 pm

This the error on the log file:

SourceSafe was unable to finish writing a file. Check your available disk space, and ask the administrator to analyze your SourceSafe database.

The analyzer log file seems to be fine on the database and plenty of disk space.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:11 pm

This error message ("SourceSafe was unable to finish writing a file. Check your available disk space, and ask the administrator to analyze your SourceSafe database.") usually results when there not being enough room for the user's temp directory to transfer large files.

When the SOS Server is transferring a file to the Client, the Server (who is the user in this case) copies the file to its Temp directory. When the transfer is complete, the Server deletes the file. In a normal situation, when the Client is inactive, this temp directory is empty. When the user exits the session the server should remove this directory.

If the SOS Server Temp directory is not empty and the folders are still around when no one is logged in, please delete all subfolders in this Temp directory and then restart the SOS Server service.

Also, some users configure their "ss.ini" file to transfer files to a local directory rather than the default temp directory on the server in an attempt to speed up VSS operations.

If the temp directory (as specified in either the "srcsafe.ini" or the "ss.ini" file) is out of space, this could be causing the problem too.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

kiteboard

Post by kiteboard » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:33 pm

I'm still having a problem. I do see a tempory folder created on the folder but no file information inside it. The server and my local drive have plenty of space (over 2 gig of free space).

We have another VSS database. This database is much smaller and works fine handling large file. This database is version 6.0. The database having problem is version 6.0c (Visual SourceSafe 6.0 Service Pack 6).

kiteboard

Post by kiteboard » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:36 pm

I'm still having a problem. I do see a tempory folder created on the folder but no file information inside it. The server and my local drive have plenty of space (over 2 gig of free space).

We have another VSS database. This database is much smaller and works fine handling large file. This database is version 6.0. The database having problem is version 6.0c (Visual SourceSafe 6.0 Service Pack 6).

corey

Post by corey » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:50 pm

Are the two databases located on the same machine?

Also, are they on the same machine as the SOS Server?
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

kiteboard

Post by kiteboard » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:31 pm

I finally figure out the problem. The temp path in the user's SS.INI has to specify the user's login name. For example, Temp_Path = C:\VSS\Temp has to be Temp_Path (USERNAME) = C:\VSS\Temp. This does not explain why it works for small file and not file around 100K.

Alfetta159

Post by Alfetta159 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:23 pm

We istalled VisualStudio 6.0 SP6.

I didn't think about installing this service pack because we don't have VS 6.0 installed on that server, just VSS 6.0d.

We also found that this hang problem manifested itself when trying to get a version from history. One of our users pointed out that the hanging seemed to be related.

mohanbv

VSS Write error

Post by mohanbv » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:43 am

Hello kiteboard,

I still have the same problem(SourceSafe was unable to finish writing a file. Check your available disk space, and ask the administrator to analyze your SourceSafe database). I have installed VSS server on windows server 2003 and I have installed VSS Client on Windows XP SP2 also I have VS SP6 and VSS SP5 installed.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:08 am

mohanvb:

What version of SOS are you using?

Did you try the suggestions posted earlier in the the thread? If so, which ones did you try?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

prabhubhaskar

Re: Action hangs using DIFF in file history

Post by prabhubhaskar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:29 am

Dear all

I am new to this community.

We are getting a error msg while performing diff or comparing of source in VSS. The error is 'SourceSafe was unable to finish writing a file. Check your available disk space, and ask the administrator to analyze your SourceSafe database'. We are using VSS 6.0D. Their is enough space in the server. We did an analyze on this DB but still the issue exists.

We are accessing via VSS client. We are not using SOS to access VSS.

Can you help / guide me to resolve this would be greatly appreciated

Rgds,
Prabhu

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:12 am

Prabhu:

Check your VSS's options for the "Folder for temporary files." See if it is a valid path, file system permissions are set accordingly, no virus checkers are preventing file writes, and there is plenty of disk space there.

If that doesn't help, I would recommend posting to one of the Visual SourceSafe newsgroups to see if they can be of more assistance:

microsoft.public.visual.sourcesafe
microsoft.public.sourcesafe
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

prabhubhaskar

Post by prabhubhaskar » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:06 am

Hi Jeff

Thanks for your timely response. If my understanding is correct, you are asking me to check the 'Temp' folder which exists inside this VSS DB. 'Temp' folder has all the relevant sharing/security. Moreover, there are 6 six VSS DB's other than this DB and we dont have any issues similar to this DB. Comparatively other DB's are huge in size than this DB. Any idea!!

Rgds,
Prabhu

prabhubhaskar

Post by prabhubhaskar » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:06 am

Hi Jeff

I checked the path for the temporary files in VSS Options, its in network path only as it used to be

Rgds,
Prabhu

prabhubhaskar

Post by prabhubhaskar » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:38 am

Hi Jeff

I checked the path for the temporary files in VSS Options, its in network path only as it used to be

Rgds,
Prabhu