Pin support in 4

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jon

Pin support in 4

Post by Jon » Wed May 05, 2004 9:18 am

Under "Pin Files" the manual for 4 http://www.sourceoffsite.com/sos/help/default.htm says "Pin Support must be enabled in the Pin Support tab of the Server Manager"

The trial version I've just downloaded doesn't have a pin support tab?

Any ideas - I want to see if 4 solved the error we're getting with 3 5 where about 8 of our 2000+ pinned files are not got at all! If however I turn pin support off in 3 5 SOS gets the files (but the trunk version of course rather than our pinned branch version).

Cheers,
Jon.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 05, 2004 12:40 pm

Oops. This item in the docs was not updated. There is no pin support tab in the SOS 4.0 Server Manager. In SOS 4.0, pin support is always "on."

In previous SOS versions, we evoked the SS.exe in order to pin files. This was an expensive operation and we gave users the option to turn it off for better performance.

We've since found a way to do this through the SourceSafe API, without the performance hit.

We've found that an important factor in whether or not pin works properly with SOS is the version of VSS installed on the SOS Server machine. If SOS 4.0 doesn't help with the pin issue, let us know what version of VSS you are using and we'll troubleshoot further.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager