- 1) Find the Vault server log. Typically it is found at C:\Windows\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log on the Vault server. If it was moved, then you will find the path listed in the Vault admin web page under the Logging link. Additional information about the server log can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=6278#6278.
2) Rename the Vault server log. This is so that previous logging isn't included.
3) Turn on Debug level logging. Go to the Vault Admin web page. Click on the Logging link. Change Quiet to Debug, and change Weekly to Daily in case you need to log for a longer time. When you click Save, all users will be disconnected from Vault. It is recommended to have users log out before this just to prevent interrupted operations.
4) Find the Vault client log. For the Vault GUI client, the default location is C:\Users\<your user name>\appdata\local\temp\VaultGUIclient.txt. Additional information about client-side logging for all Vault clients can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=5375.
5) Rename the Vault client log so that previous logging isn't included.
6) Open a Vault client and login. Right before you perform the steps to produce the issue, press Ctrl - Alt - Shift - F12. This will turn on debug level logging.
7) Perform the actions to cause the issue. Make note of the exact time you start the operation. If you are timing for performance issues, also note the end time. Include the times in any emails to support.
8_) Immediately after the issue happens or completes, collect the Vault client log and the Vault server log. Performing additional actions will just add more unnecessary logging. Name the logs to something usefule to indicate what they relate to and send them to support.
9) You may now close your client to stop the logging and return the server to the Quiet logging level.
If you need to run multiple tests, rename the Vault client log and server log for each test so that each test has its own set of logs.
If you need to test actions involving logging in with a client, click Cancel on the login window before pressing Ctrl - Alt - Shift F12. Then go to File - Connect to Server to begin the login process.
The full list of KB articles related to logging are: