Cannot get by Label in SOS Collab

If you are having a problem using Collab, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:05 pm
I have tried a number of methods to attempt to get files from my project by label but it does not work, while it does work in VSS. This is a VERY big problem.

Getting files one by one is not an option, I must be able to get the entire project by label just as can be done in VSS.

I see that someone else has posted the same issue. When can we expect this to be resolved?

I am using SOS Collab 1.1.2 build 14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:28 pm
What problems do you encounter when getting a label? Does the command not execute at all? Are you getting more files than you expected? The wrong files?

It would be helpful to know the steps you are taking when you label a project, then later try to get the label. What results did you want and what happened instead?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:27 pm
Get by label does nothing when you select a project. It works on an individual file.

When I say nothing, I mean no recursion happens (yes I checked the box) and no files are pulled whether they exist in the working directories or not, and no messages are displayed. It seems like when you click the Get botton while highlighting a Label in the History that nothing actually happens.

Are you saying Get by label for a project does work for you?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:29 pm
Also, of course, the right click menu is missing the option to get by label.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:43 pm
I guess I will provide more detail about exactly what I am doing:

right click on the project folder, select show history
Dialog Appears: "Project History Options"
check the recursive box, click ok
history results appear
select the label on the project, click Get
dialog appears: "Get Project By Label",
Recursive is checked, click OK
2 seconds elapse,

screen returns to History screen,
no messages are in the message window,
no files were retrieved.... nothing happened.

The options I choose in the "Project History Options" dialog make no difference to the behavior of the GET. No matter what is in the history results window, when I select the label and click GET, no files are retrieved, and nothing happens.

Once again, are you saying that this feature DOES work for you?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:57 pm
lbauer wrote:What problems do you encounter when getting a label? Does the command not execute at all? Are you getting more files than you expected? The wrong files?

This is covered in my earlier post. Basically get by label does not do anything at all in SOS collab.

lbauer wrote:It would be helpful to know the steps you are taking when you label a project, then later try to get the label. What results did you want and what happened instead?

To label, I right click on the Project and select LABEL. I type in the label name and click OK. The process is identical in VSS.

The results I wanted is for Get by label to work, at a mimum, the same as VSS. If I use the VSS client against the exact same project, it works. It addition it would be nice if a right click context option was available for this purpose.

Not being able to use this feature is killing my QA/Prod migration. Not being able to get the project to any state but latest is making backing out versions or deploying labeled versions a real headache.

thank you.
Michael.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:06 am
Yes, Get by Label works for me. For instance, I created a project, added a few files, then labeled the project. Next I edited two of the files and checked them in.

I deleted all the files in the working directory so the status was "Missing." Then I did "Show History" on the project, found the label and did a Get by Label. All the files were retrieve into the working directory and two of them had a status "Old," as they had been edited after the label was applied.

Can you reproduce my test?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:12 am
Sorry, I wasn't logged in. The previous post is mine.

I did encounter some situations where get by label appeared to do nothing. But there may be reasons for this. For instance, it could be the label was applied to a project and you're doing the get by label from a subproject. Perhaps the files in the subproject haven't changed since the label was applied.

There's also a possibility that the Source Safe Automation Component is causing a problem wtih SOS and Get by Label. What version of the VSS Client is installed on your SOS Primary Server machine?

See this KB article for details on finding the version number of the Automation Component.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1510
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:47 pm
My SSAPI.dll is version 6.0.98.48

As for the labeling and subprojects here is what has been done

I am working with $/AP5
this is where I perform the label
and this is where I do the show history and get by label.

I have done this experiment where I delete files from the working directory and try the get by label again. In all cases there are no messages and nothing happens.

I have also done the experiment you suggested to create a new project and have gotten some disturbing results. I was able to get by label once or twice on a new (very small) project, but most of the time the SOS sits at 50% CPU for many many minutes (this is a dual 2.8 ghz cpu server). I end up needing to click cancel and getting disconnected. Meanwhile all GET by label using the same project from VSS works flawlessly.

Is someone willing to do a WEBEX with me so I can show you what exactly is happening?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:13 pm
I figured I may as well register since I've been posting so much the last couple days.

Anyway... I think I should mention there is a Wide area connection between the SOS collab Client and the SOS server in my scenario. I should also mention that the VSS database is on the same server as the SOS server.

regards,
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:31 pm
I'll do a WEBEX with you. Contact me at linda@sourcegear.com.

Also, I'd like to see a copy of the SOS Primary Server log. It may give us some information about the get by label problem.

In the SOS Collab Server Manager, set logging to Debug in Primary Server General -> Logging.

Then perform the operations that are failing, and send me a copy of the sosce_log.txt file in the SOS Collab Servers\Logs directory.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:56 pm
What was the outcome of this issue... not getting any files when trying to retrieve older, labelled versions at the directory level? I see the same thing happenning for me.

ssapi.dll version: 6.0.93.50

Tery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:42 pm
Not really. I did not yet take linda up on her offer for a webex... I was doing some experiments on my server to try to figure out in what situations I was unable to get by label... I have some suspicions, but I was not able to complete a full series of tests to confirm, partly because sometimes my get by label would leave my SOS server running at high CPU for hours at a time and leave the service unresponsive to those trying to get real work done. I was hoping to have worked out the test scenarios that recreate the problem consistently to go over them with Linda so as not to waste her time.

My suspicion is the get by label act weird or sends SOS into a tailspin if the label contains any non-alpha numeric characters... space, dash, underbar, etc. Get by label does work for these characters in VSS 6.0d

One other thing I must mention that I have forgotten to in my previous posts is that, my SOS server is across a WAN connection. In fact the only reason I use SOS is that VSS client is unreliable across a wan. I am wondering if the get by label is very chatty and more likely to timeout across a wan connection than other types of SOS operations.

Return to Support (Collab)