Restoring deleted files

If you are having a problem using Collab, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:59 am
I have a project with a deleted file. This file is shared with several other projects. I would like to restore the link to the deleted file, but I can't figure out the best way to do it. I tried a source->share it, but SOS reported "VSS: unable to share file: xxxxx." When I select the properties for the project, the file shows up in the deleted items list, but there is no option to restore it (a la VSS). What is the best way to fix this using the SOS client?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:39 pm
You'd have restore the file with the VSS client. In VSS, right-click the project where the file was deleted and select Properties. The deleted files tab should have the file in the list (unless it was purged). Click "recover" and the file should be back in the database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:58 pm
If a deleted file was purged from the VSS database, there's no way to recover it, unless you have a recent backup of your VSS database that you can restore.

If you want to prevent users from purging data, then the best way is to use Visual SourceSafe security rights. You can enable Security Rights in VSS with the VSS Admin client. VSS rights include Read, Check Out/Check In, Add/Rename/Delete, and Destroy.

When you set specific rights for users, make sure users don't get "Destroy" rights.

See Help in the VSS Admin client for more information
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Return to Support (Collab)