Web Project and Adding Files

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

drichardson

Web Project and Adding Files

Post by drichardson » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:19 am

Good Afternoon,

I have created a web site project in Visual Studio 2008 and am using the latest version of Vault (4.1.1).

The issue with the web site project is that it wants to add the Bin folder to the Vault. I do not want this since I have project references and they will be updated when other projects build successfully.

Is there some way to make it so that the Bin foler is not added to the Vault for a web site project?

Thanks in advance.

David Richardson

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Are you using the Enhanced client or the Classic client?
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

drichardson

Post by drichardson » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:24 am

The Ehanced Client

drichardson

Post by drichardson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:07 am

Anybody have any ideas?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:23 am

In a web site project (not to be confused with an ASP.NET web application project) the bin folder (but not its contents) is erroneously pended add if it is created after the web site is bound or added. This is a bug we'll get fixed.

1) The effects are negligible, because the contents of the bin folder are not added. You just get an empty folder in the repository.

2) You can de-select it during checkin and/or delete it from the pending changes window, and it won't come back. It only happens when the bin folder is first created.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

drichardson

Post by drichardson » Mon May 05, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Ian. I have tried what you suggesed and it does indeed remove the files from my pending checkin list. The issue now is that this holds true until I add another new file to the project. Once that happens, they show up in the pending checkin list again.

Not an issue if it is only me working in the solution, but at some point I can see one of the 15 other developers actually adding the files to the repository. That is not really what I want to have happen.

Do you have any ETA on when this bug is to be resolved?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon May 05, 2008 1:43 pm

I think I need to better understand the problem. Are you talking about new files that you're adding to the bin folder? What kinds of files are you adding? The fact that, in general, files that are added to a project are also pended for checkin is considered by most to be a feature. :)

The fix I mentioned is a very narrow change: if a bin folder is added to a bound web site project, a folder create is no longer pended for checkin. This is to be consistent with the fact that if a bin folder exists before the project is bound/added to Vault, the bin folder is (correctly) not added to the repository. I not sure, at this point, that this change addresses your problem.

Visual Studio gives Vault, as a source control provider, the ability to ask a project, "Should this file be controlled?" When a file is added to a web site project, we rely on the web site project to tell us if it is "controllable" file or not. This is why .dll and .pdb files, for example, aren't automatically added. But if you add a .cs or .txt file, even to a bin folder, it is considered a controllable file and the file's addition is pended accordingly.

Can you clarify what you're doing, what you see, and what you expect to see?
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

drichardson

Post by drichardson » Mon May 05, 2008 2:12 pm

ok. Now I think I understand what the issue is. Any assemblies in the Bin folder which are not added through a reference are marked as pending checkin. If I remove the assemblies and add each as a reference to the project then they are added back in to the bin folder without the pending status. Now this makes sense.

I will work under those restrictions and change my expectations to match. Thanks!

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Sat May 31, 2008 7:50 pm

This fix shipped in Vault 4.1.2 (and Fortress 1.1.2): an empty bin folder in a web site project will no longer be added to Vault.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear