Visual Studio - Unbind/Bind changes SolutionUniqueID

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

texasbecker

Visual Studio - Unbind/Bind changes SolutionUniqueID

Post by texasbecker » Fri May 14, 2004 2:38 pm

When I Unbind a solution, then later re-bind it again, somebody tries to change the SolutionUniqueID. I'm guess it is Vault, as I don't recall the behavior using VSS, but could be wrong!

It goes something like this: I unbind, the the .??proj file goes "Renegade", with the lines having SccXXX = "SAK" deleted. The .sln file gets his SourceCodeControl section yanked.

When I re-bind to the same Vault project, I get "different contents" warnings for my solution and project files. I find this strange, since the first two messages going by in the Output window read "Fetched" for the same two files?

After this process, my .??proj file remains Renegade, but the contents are no different; I presume this is just the read only attribute or something.

The kicker is the .sln file, also Renegade. It has a different SolutionUniqueID.

Why? I would expect it to use the one from the solution file in the Vault project.

I can safely just get latest from Vault to clear it up. I remember when I first started using Vault with a demo, I found this confusing. Now that I understand VS solutions and projects better, I just sort of snicker at it.

Is Vault trying to protect changes that [may have] been made to those files?

Best Regards,

Andy

dan

Post by dan » Fri May 14, 2004 2:50 pm

Vault never writes to or changes the solution or project files. The only file we write to is the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file, and we use that to determine the connection string to connect with.

Visual Studio seems to do a lot of things when changing bindings. It will sometimes create funny looking files in Vault and then immediately delete them (the ones beginning with ~). I honestly don't know whether VSS has the same behavior or not - it may, but since it doesn't show whether a file has been changed (Renegade status), it may not be as obvious. However, it is possible that VS treats VSS differently from other SCC providers.

That's a long winded answer for: I have no idea what VS is doing, but I do know that Vault doesn't edit solution or project files directly. :)

texasbecker

Post by texasbecker » Fri May 14, 2004 2:56 pm

Thanks! This clears a lot up for me. And it was not as long-winded as the original post was.

You sure respond quickly. In the old(ish) Compuserve days, I would have said "Dude - have you got a modem in your head, or what?"

dan

Post by dan » Fri May 14, 2004 3:22 pm

texasbecker wrote: You sure respond quickly. In the old(ish) Compuserve days, I would have said "Dude - have you got a modem in your head, or what?"
Well, Gold support folks deserve special treatment :)