Better error messages for full database

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jerry R

Better error messages for full database

Post by Jerry R » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:16 am

I've been testing out Vault in preparation for moving our whole development team to it, and I currently have a database setup on my local machine using MSDE, with a 2GB database limit.

I was running an Import (from SourceSafe) over the weekend, and the database ended up reaching its limit, with every add operation failing thereafter. Import however was still merrily chugging along, apparently waiting for each operation to time out, logging out and back in, and in general going extremely slowly, apparently unaware that anything was wrong.

Running the Vault Client, trying to perform operations which increased the size of the database would either display a FailDBReader message, act like they performed properly but didn't end up doing anything, or display some other message. For example, doing a Check In would act like it checked in the file without error, but the file would still be listed as checked out. Doing a commit would not display an error message, but the file would still be listed in the Pending Changes window.

I don't know what portion of your user base is using SQL servers that are likely to hit their size limit (for our production system, we'll be using a very big server, so it shouldn't end up being an issue for us), but more targeted error messages/handling for this situation would be helpful for them. It is nice to see that Vault doesn't crash or do anything really bizarre on hitting this limit condition though.

-Jerry

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:42 am

Those are good suggestions. If we can determine that the database transaction failed because the DB is out of space, then we should be able to propagate that error to the clients.

We'll add this to our list of things to do...