Import of labels from VSS extremely slow -- Problem?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Addie Gisser

Import of labels from VSS extremely slow -- Problem?

Post by Addie Gisser » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:45 am

I have followed all the tips from Eric Sink in "Tips for a successful VSS Import" and our import is still taking forever. After finally importing a root level label (10+ hours) the estimated time to completion jumped from 6 hours to 1+ days. The import is now chugging away on the next label. At this rate it may take over a week to finish importing the labels.

Is something wrong with the import or should I wait it out. I had turned on debug for the logging, but the log file is still not very illuminating.

Suggestions?

Addie

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:20 am

It's not unusual for an import to take several days. Reconstructing a label takes time, too.

If the import is proceeding, you might want to wait it out.

But it's possible there are errors in the label import that are slowing things down. Use the email link below to send me a copy of the vault_import.log file from the Import Tool directory and we'll investigate what's going on.

Please reference this post in your email.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:22 am

From your log file, it looks like you have lots of root level labels ($/ was labeled). Since every object in your tree will need to be labeled, this can take a signinfigant amount of time. Also, please note that labeling inside Vault is much faster than importing a label from VSS.