Unknown status handling, Get Latest Version

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jerry R

Unknown status handling, Get Latest Version

Post by Jerry R » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:37 am

How come when a shared file is branched the status of the local file becomes Unknown? If the file is identical to the local file and the baseline file, it should have an empty status.

Also, I've seen it mentioned in the forums already, but I'd like to but in a request for more flexible Get Latest Version handling, specifically:

- option to not overwrite any checked out files
- a cancel button that actually cancels the operation!

dan

Re: Unknown status handling, Get Latest Version

Post by dan » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:02 am

Jerry R wrote:How come when a shared file is branched the status of the local file becomes Unknown? If the file is identical to the local file and the baseline file, it should have an empty status.
This is a known bug. When you branch a share, it actually creates a new object in the database with a different ID, and since the local ID no longer matches the server ID, the client doesn't know what file it is. We need to send some extra info to the client so it knows it is actually the same file.
Also, I've seen it mentioned in the forums already, but I'd like to but in a request for more flexible Get Latest Version handling, specifically:

- option to not overwrite any checked out files
- a cancel button that actually cancels the operation!
There is an option in the Get dialog to not overwrite modified files. Not all checked out files are modified of course, but this should work for what you probably need.

Yes, the cancel button sucks. It really only applies to client operations, because it is impossible to stop some server transactions once they are started.

Jerry R

Post by Jerry R » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:17 am

The option to not overwrite modified files doesn't address the problems we're having. Some of my users have the situation where they're ending up with some or lots of files with Unknown status, and they also have edited files. Vault doesn't differentiate between these when you do a Get. We want to be able to do a Get which overwrites the Unknown and other old files but not any checked out or Renegade files.

Perhaps if Vault were smarter about setting Unknown status, this wouldn't be a problem. Under what conditions, other than branching, does Vault mark a file Unknown?

dan

Post by dan » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:04 pm

Jerry R wrote: Perhaps if Vault were smarter about setting Unknown status, this wouldn't be a problem. Under what conditions, other than branching, does Vault mark a file Unknown?
Generally Unknown files happen due to user intervention, such as setting a working folder to a pre-existing folder with those files already in it, or accidently deleting the baseline files.

In 2.1, we plan to resolve Unknown file states during Gets, where we search the database for a version that has the same contents as the one on disk, and if there is a match, set the file version to the correct one. This will handle most cases (unless you've modified an Unknown file, in which case it wouldn't match any version on the server).

Jerry R

Post by Jerry R » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:44 pm

Do you have a scheduled release date for 2.1, and/or a list of fixes/new features that you're allowed to divulge?

dan

Post by dan » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:47 am

We are not quite ready to set release dates and announce final features/bug fixes on 2.1.