Unhandled Exception in Vault Admin Tool

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Mark loew

Unhandled Exception in Vault Admin Tool

Post by Mark loew » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:07 pm

We are using Source Vault 2.03.

When one of our admin users fires up the admin tool they can a .net framework unhandled exception. This is on the repositories screen. I have attached a screen shot of the error. How should I proceed to get this problem resolved.
Attachments
errorinvault.zip
screen shot of the error
(44.11 KiB) Downloaded 1113 times

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:04 pm

Can you try the following:

http://machine/vaultservice

What version does the server say it is running? Is it Vault 2.0.3?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Mark loew

Post by Mark loew » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:17 pm

Version on the server is

Version 2.0.3.2174

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Aha! What version of the Vault Admin Tool are they using? I'd be willing to bet it is Vault Admin Tool 2.0.5 or 2.0.6.

The 2.0.5/6 Admin Tool introduced some new configuration settings, which cannot be zero. A 2.0.5/6 Admin Tool should only be used against a 2.0.5/6 server, respectively.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Mark loew

Post by Mark loew » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:04 pm

As soon as I saw your question that is the first thing that occured to me. I will check it out tomorrow.

Another related question is how important is it to keep our server/client/admin software updated with the latest release? You seem to be coming out with patches quite frequently (3 since we got our original purchase in june or july).

How often to do you normally have patches or are they just on an as needed basis?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:55 pm

Nothing would be better than to have a predictable release pattern for Vault releases. However, SourceGear is very customer oriented. So sometimes customer needs, wants or request can accelerate our release cycles.

Let me provide an example:

Shadow Folder's design ran into some problems when more than 25+ users were making changes to the Vault Server within the same time period. The customer demand for this feature was so strong, a new Shadow Folder model was devised in Vault 2.0.5, and released early August, 2004.

One month after Vault's 2.0.5 release, Microsoft released SP1 for the 1.1 .Net Framework. Unfortunately, MS' changes to the framework caused the GUI client to not function correctly when the Search tab was in use during shutdown. In order to help customers which needed SP1 for other bug fixes, a work around was quickly developed, and Vault 2.0.6 was born.

We understand that a release schedule such as this places a large burden on customers to "keep up". However, to help alleviate these problems, we've gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure a Vault 2.0.x client can communicate with Vault 2.0.x servers. This way, customers can upgrade at on their own time tables.

Note, the Vault Admin Tool is a special case. The Admin tool is an extension of the Vault server, as it is used to configure Vault Server's settings. Due to this dependency, the Admin Tool / Server should always be in sync.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Mark loew

Post by Mark loew » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:59 pm

That sounds quite reseaonable. I wasn't aware that the client version didn't matter. That is good to know. Thanks for the info. My client was out today so I was not able to check the admin software version on their system.

Mark loew

Post by Mark loew » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:17 am

He was running the wrong Admin client. Problem resolved thanks for the help.