Can't connect to Vault server. http 401.2 error

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

SteveMarriott

Can't connect to Vault server. http 401.2 error

Post by SteveMarriott » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:59 am

I have just installed Ver 2.0.6 on my local machine running Windows 2003 Server with SQL Server 2000 running locally as well.

I have IIS6 and Visual Studio 2003 installed and running too.

From the Admin tool or the client tool, I try to connect to the server using the Admin user id and password plus the local machine name, I get an error.

When testing the installation in my browser, I go to :
http://MyMachineName/vaultservice/serverinstall.html and get :

Vault Home Page MyMachineName Server Installation
Version 2.0.6.2219 Installed 21 October 2004.....

which appears OK.

If I follow the link:
The actual web service is installed at http://MyMachineName/VaultService/VaultService.asmx , I get a windows dialog box prompting for a username and password. I again use Admin and the password I setup during the installation. It won't validate that userid and pw combination. After 3 attempts, the dialog box dissapears and I get the following message in the browser:

Server Error in '/VaultService' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Access is denied.
Description: An error occurred while accessing the resources required to serve this request. The server may not be configured for access to the requested URL.

Error message 401.2.: You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. Contact the Web server's administrator for help.

I have performed the same installation on my XP professional machine with IIS, SQL Svr 2000, VS2003 also and got the same results.

I have read through many of the support forum posts, but have not see any other posts that resemble my issue.

I have attached my vault_install.log

Any ideas?
Last edited by SteveMarriott on Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:50 pm

Is Allow Anonymous Access enabled for the VaultService virtual directory in IIS?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

SteveMarriott

Allow Anonymous Access is enabled

Post by SteveMarriott » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:26 pm

Yes, it is enabled and set to use the IUSR_MyMachineName account. I checked the directory security and found that the IUSR account has modify rights.

Is this correct?

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:06 pm

Your install log didn't get attached. You can send it to me directly using the email button at the bottom of the message. It may be helpful to see the install log.

I don't *think* that IUSR_MyMachineName even needs modify rights to the directory. However, the account running Vault Service needs full access to the Vault Service directory. If you chose the default options during the Vault Server install, this account is NETWORK SERVICE on IIS 6.

Are going through a proxy server?

Are there any errors logged to the Vault Server Log (%windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log)?

If you go to the Vault server machine, open a web browser and go to
http://localhost/VaultService/VaultService.asmx do you still get prompted for a login? Can you connect to the Admin Tool on the Vault Server machine using "localhost" instead of the machine name?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

SteveMarriott

answers to your questions

Post by SteveMarriott » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:25 pm

-- I re-sent the contents of the install log a few minutes ago.

I don't *think* that IUSR_MyMachineName even needs modify rights to the directory. However, the account running Vault Service needs full access to the Vault Service directory. If you chose the default options during the Vault Server install, this account is NETWORK SERVICE on IIS 6.
-- The NETWORK SERVICE account has Full rights.

Are going through a proxy server?
---No. I have set the Client App to not use a proxy server.
-- When I try to access the URL in my browser, I have the proxy setting disabled as well.

Are there any errors logged to the Vault Server Log (%windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log)?
-- No.

If you go to the Vault server machine, open a web browser and go to
http://localhost/VaultService/VaultService.asmx do you still get prompted for a login?
-- Yes

Can you connect to the Admin Tool on the Vault Server machine using "localhost" instead of the machine name?
-- No

SteveMarriott

My system admin has the same problem on a different box.

Post by SteveMarriott » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:30 pm

My sys admin was trying to setup the Vault server for my team and got the same problem. The target platform was a Win 2000 server with SQL 2000.

She installed ver 2.0.6 a few days ago and said she had the same problem but didn't have time to work on it at the time.

SteveMarriott

Problem Solved!!

Post by SteveMarriott » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:14 pm

I was reading some other posts and ran across one that mentioned a problem with the web.config file in the inetpub\wwwroot directory. Upon inspection of my machine web root, I found a copy of a web.config from another application that didn't need to be there.

I deleted the web.config, did an iisreset, and tried again and it works now.

Hope this helps others.

FYI, I had the same problem and resolution on both the Win2003 and XP machines.

-Steve
:D

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:19 pm

Glad you got it figured out.

I noticed in your install log that you had Share Point installed. Share Point likes to insert the extra web.config file that messes with Vault.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear