VSS import problems left other problems

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

ctacke

VSS import problems left other problems

Post by ctacke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:40 am

I recently migrated approximately 30 VSS repositories into about 6 Vault repositories. On some imports I got errors while importing labels, some went fine.

Unfortunately it now seems that some of the Vault repositories are failing with FailDBInsert when I try to view Labels or History. I can't be certain, but my guess is that the repositories that are now throwing the error are the same that had label insert failures.

I'd like to *not* have to reimport the entire VSS repositories, as it took we a week to do the first time. Ideally I'd be able to reimport just the labels, but even if the labels that failed to import were simply dropped and I was able to view labels that would be better than the current situation.

The error log shows this on a 'View Labels':
----11/9/2004 9:38:51 AM ctacke--sw2.applieddata.net(192.168.0.50)--SSL Disabled
Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK__@resulttree__6FAD9074'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object '#6EB96C3B'.
The statement has been terminated.
----11/9/2004 9:38:51 AM ctacke--sw2.applieddata.net(192.168.0.50)--SSL Disabled
BeginLabelQuery returned: FailDBInsert

I'm using version 2.0.6

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:58 am

When you say 2.0.6, do you mean server / client / both?

Has the database been restored from any kind of backup?

Note, I had asked for the error in the server's log file from the other forum. You can disregard that posting.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

ctacke

Post by ctacke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:09 am

I assume that 2.0.6 is for both - I just looked in Help->About to get the version. It's been installed for less than a month if that's any indicator.

The database has not been restored at all. Basically I just did the import and one of my devs tried to view Labels and got the error, which I've confirmed.

If it makes any difference, the import may have been "non standard" in that I merged a lot of separate VSS repositories into only a few Vault repositories. However each VSS repository went into a unique subfolder/tree in the new repository, so there was no overlap, nor was there any sharing on the original.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:21 am

Can you temporarily disable folder security, and try the show label again. There are two code paths for labels, and I want to make sure I am looking in the correct place.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

ctacke

Post by ctacke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:33 am

Forgive me, as I'm not a server admin. Can you elaborate on what exactly you mean? Disable security through IIS? Through Explorer?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:40 am

You'll need access to the Vault Admin Tool. Log in, and look at the properties for the Repository in which the label was created.

On the properties page, there will be a check box "Enable Folder Security". Turn this off, and then look at the label from within the GUI client. Does it work with security disabled?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

ctacke

Post by ctacke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:59 am

Alright, so here's a strange thing. If I go into the Admin tool and to the [Folder Security] tab, only one of 12 repositories shows up in the drop down. All 12 show up just fine in the [Repositories] tab as well as in the dropdowns on the [Repository Options] and [Undo Checkout] tabs.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:25 am

The list for Folder security only shows repositories that have Folder security enabled. The Repository Tab shows all repositories, and the properties of one of the items here allow you to turn on Folder security.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

ctacke

Post by ctacke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:46 am

Ok, I understand now. In that case then Folder Security is off for the repositories that are showing the error.

I should also elaborate that "Show Labels" doesn't fail for the entire repository, just for some folders.

For example, I had two VSS repositories: PLAT1 and PLAT2

I imported them into a single Vault repository like this

WINCE420
--PLAT1
--PLAT2

I can view labels fine for PLAT1, but PLAT2 gives the error.

Obviously this is simplified - my actual repository has about 10 "PLAT" folders, and a couple of them give the error.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:59 am

Chris:

1) If you invoke to recursively "Show Labels" on $/, does that fail? Or is it when you show labels on a sub folder of the tree? If on a sub folder, what is that folders full path?

2) For the history failure, does it fail if you choose to NOT include labels in the history query? Does the history query fail when invoked recursively on $/ or on a sub folder of the tree? If on a sub folder, what is that folders full path?

3) Has the .Net 2.0 Beta framework been installed on the server?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

ctacke

Post by ctacke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:05 am

Show Labels for the entire tree works.

Show Labels specifically for the following fails:

$\GAP

Attempting to add a label to the same tree also fails.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:46 pm

Hmmm... There might be some more back and forth trying to figure what is causing the problem. Let's take this off-line.

Can you email me? Click the link below.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

ctacke

Post by ctacke » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:10 am

Jeff,

Thanks. I've sent you an email as well as exposed mine in my profile here.