Problem with long filenames

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

MarcusB

Problem with long filenames

Post by MarcusB » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:55 am

Having an issue with the Vault software:
I have a series of VBP projects that make up a VBG project group. Because I have had other unexplainable issues I have elected to follow the following steps and have had the following results:
  • +I removed all of the .SCC files in all of the folders/subfolders that my project resides
    +I changed the READ-ONLY property of all files and folders to be non-read only.
    +Using the Vault client, I added all the files and folders to the Vault database. (Using the folder structure listed below)
    +I then deleted my local copy of the project and created a new folder for the project to reside. (D:\VBProjects\BankRecAus)
    +Using the Vault client, I specified a "Working Folder" for the project, pointing to the folder I created in the last step.
    +Using the Vault client, I did a "Get Latest Version". It copied all of the files from the database to my machine.
    +I then closed the Vault Client and opened the VBG project group file.
    +Upon opening I receive a message: "Would you like to add this project to Source Gear Vault?" When I say YES, it initializes the Vault plug-in, asks for a repository (in this case the repository name is "Finance") and brings up a window "Add To Vault Folder".
    +The "Project To Add:" field shows: "BankRecDA"
    +The "Add project from working folder:" field shows: "D:\VBPROJ~1\BANKRE~1\UI\BankRecDA"
    +I then remove the data in the "Project To Add:" field and point the project to the correct folder in which it resides in the Vault folder heirarchy
    +I repeat this process for each of the 7 VBP files that belong to the VBG
    +I then close out of Visual Basic and open the Vault Client -- The working folder for some (not all) of the folders in the Vault project have changed to include the "~1" long file name.
    +I then close out of the Vault Client and open the VBG -- It initializes the Vault Plug-In and proceeds to prompt me with: "Would you like to add this project to Source Gear Vault?" in which case I begin step 8 again, however this process occurs for only the projects whose working folder contains the "~1" long file name.
    +Also some of the forms within the VBP will not allow me to check them out -- I receive error messages that say: "The file <insert file path/name here> is not valid for this opperation."
The Project Folder Structure Looks Like The Following:
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\AutoPlatImport
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\AutoPlatImport\CommonDLLs
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\BankFiles
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\BankRecObjects
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\DLLsToMove
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\Documentation
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\Icons
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\Statements
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\UI
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\UI\BankRecBR
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\UI\BankRecDA
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\UI\ImportFiles
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\UI\SAObjects
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\UI\SAObjects\SABR
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\UI\SAObjects\SADA
D:\VBProjects\BankRecAUS\UserObjects

Any suggetions on how to get this working?

Thanks,
Marcus

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:40 am

It may not be the long file names that are the problem.

For IDE integration to succeed, the appropriate bindings or source control (.scc) files must be created.

To do this, use VB rather than the Vault GUI client to add projects to the database and to retrieve the project from the database for the first time.

Assume you have a project and you've removed all the .scc files (created when you used VSS, for instance). First make sure that Vault is your default Source Control Provider (in the Vault GUI Client under Tools->Options->General.)

The open your project in VB and choose: "Tools->SourceGear Vault->Add Project to SourceGear Vault."

This will add the project to the Vault database and create the necessary source control files on your machine. After this, you can just open the project normally and it will know to connect to Vault.

If other users need to retrieve the project from the database, they should also do so through VB. They should verify that Vault is their default SCC provider. Then they would open the project from Tools->SourceGear Vault->Create project from SourceGear Vault.

After they have retrieved the project this way, they will have the proper source control files and will be able to open the project normally after this.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

MarcusB

Post by MarcusB » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:55 pm

Thanks, Linda. We'll give this a try.
lbauer wrote:It may not be the long file names that are the problem...

MarcusB

Post by MarcusB » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:21 pm

I tried adding one of the 6 VBP projects that make up my VBG.

I ensured that Vault was my primary/default source code provider by opening the client and using the options menu.

I then closed the vault client and opened the VBP (In this case BankRecBR.VBP) and was prompted: "Do you wish to add this project to Vault?" -- I responded "Yes"

It then initialized the vault client and prompted me for a location (In this case I used $/BankRecVersions/BankRecAus).

Upon hitting the OK button, it begins to try and add the files into Vault but returns an error message: "File ImportFilesBR.cls could not be mapped to the Vault project $/BankRecVersions/BankRecAus/BankRecBR" -- When you hit OK it proceeds to open the VBP up but does not show that any of the class modules are associated with source code control.

If I right click on one of the class modules it gives me the option to check out the file, but when I try to do so, I receive an error message stating that the operation is not valid for the selected file.

MarcusB

Post by MarcusB » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:13 pm

Any thoughts on these problems?

dan

Post by dan » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:20 am

Is it possible to send us the project so we can try to add it here, so we can reproduce it?