Same Domain Account on Two Different Machines

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

odelljl

Same Domain Account on Two Different Machines

Post by odelljl » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:42 am

When on the road, I use my laptop, when in the office I use my workstation. On both machines, I log into the same user on the same domain. The domain is hosted on Windows 2004 - the same server that hosts Vault 2.0.6.

When I return from the road, I log in to my workstation. Any files that are checked out on my laptop appear checked out on my workstation. They aren't - they are checked out on the laptop. A Diff will show no changes. They appear logged out on the workstation via the Vault Client and the Visual Studio interface.

I seem to remember a long time ago a discussion occurred on this point but I came up empty on forum searches. Can you shed light on this and let me know if there is a way to get Vault to discern between my two machines?

Thank you -

Jeffrey Odell

dan

Post by dan » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:55 am

Vault recognizes which machine a file is checked out to - you can see the machine name it is checked out to via the file properties, or you can turn on a file list column "Check out location" in Tools->Options->File List Columns.

However, even if a file is checked out on a different machine, it is still checked out, and appears that way in the file list. But, you should not be able to check that file in except from the location it was checked out to.

In the current release, you can't even undo the checkout from a different location, but this will be changed in the next release, as it seems to be a restriction that most people don't want to have.

One other note: If the file is not checked out exclusively, you can check it out again from your desktop, make modifications, and check it in. A file is allowed to be checked out by the same person if it is done to multiple locations.

odelljl

Post by odelljl » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:44 am

Ah I see - what is throwing me is in Visual Studio, the file shows with a "check mark/exclaimation point" icon rather that the "blue not" icon even though it is checked out on the other machine. VSS shows the "blue not" icon when using it in my "other" job (sob).

You are right though - if I try to check it out it tells me it is exclusively locked.

So, any idea why the icon in Visual Studio is wrong? Or is it?

You are right - it makes sense in the Vault Client - it was Visual Studio that was fooling me.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:06 am

odelljl wrote: So, any idea why the icon in Visual Studio is wrong? Or is it?
I would guess that it would show the same icon as if someone else has it checked out. But, it wouldn't surprise me if VS gets the status confused for this case, either.

odelljl

Post by odelljl » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:37 pm

That could be very true - where I suffer with Visual Source Safe I only have one workstation so I can't verify. THanks for helping me clarify what is happening.