Lock User Client Settings

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Fil

Lock User Client Settings

Post by Fil » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:50 am

Hi Guys and Gals,

We've just purchased and installed Vault (thats a story in itself!) and I'm currently setting up users and repositorys and stuff.

All the developers here are new to the source control arena (I've used VSS in my previous work) and out of choice I purchased Vault as the bugs in VSS got me down.

Anyhow, as they are new to the system I want to make the whole thing as tight as possible and therefore I wanted to know if I could 'lock' certain settings within each users profile such as :

Remove local copy after check in
Require check out before check in
Prompt before overwriting locally modified files

... plus many more ... etc;

Is there anyway I can do this other than setting up each individual client and making them swear on the holy whatever that they'll never fiddle with their settings!

Also, is there any way I can force the user to use a paticular working folder?

Just wondered. Thanks for any replies.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:01 am

There's no "master configuration file" to set user options. User options are stored in the MS SQL database. You can set the desired profile for a user and then run a SQL query to change all other users' profiles match to that "template." We have that query; I need to check on whether our schema has changed since we wrote it.

However, there's no way to prevent a user from changing their options again, or to enforce use of particular working folders.

I think we have a feature request already logged to allow Admins to set options across all users. I'll add your "vote."
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager