Vault server lockups

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Jerry R

Vault server lockups

Post by Jerry R » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:04 pm

After a long period of trouble-free operation, today the Vault server has been locking up on us. Symptoms include the vault client hanging on startup, a refresh of an already-running client saying it couldn't communicate with the Vault server, and one time I saw a DBInsert Failed message. The server machine itself is running fine. A system reboot fixed it temporarily once, and one time the lockup went away on its own. My sysadmin says that when the lockup went away on its own, he noticed a process had just finished running, called "ghost cleanup", run by vault. I've attached a document with a portion of the server log. The part at the top is where the first error appears in the log, and the lockup is around that time or shortly thereafter.

Currently it seems to be running ok (for the last 20 minutes). Anything you can tell me about what I should look into for more info?
Attachments
vaultlog.txt
(19.12 KiB) Downloaded 666 times

Jerry R

Post by Jerry R » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:24 pm

Update: it's been running now for four and a half hours without any problems.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:24 am

Jerry:

Can you explain '"ghost cleanup", run by vault'? There's nothing the server runs named "ghost cleanup", so I'm curious what that is about.

Also, I'm seeing things like

"Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

and

"Vault Failed to establish a connection to the database."

and

"Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
General network error. Check your network documentation."

This usually means that SQL Server is unavailable ( the server process is going haywire ) or the network connection between the Vault server and SQL Server is down.

Are SQL Server and Vault Server installed on the same machine? Can you ask your sysadmin if SQL Server has anything logged in its activity log? Also, can the sysadmin check the Application / System Event Logs on both the SQL Server and Vault Server ( if different machines ) to see if anything looks suspect.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear