Upgrade to 2.0.6 doesn't allow specifying SQL Server

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

dwayne_davis

Upgrade to 2.0.6 doesn't allow specifying SQL Server

Post by dwayne_davis » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:54 pm

I'm trying to upgrade from v2.0.4 to v2.0.6. When I get to the "Connect to SQL Server" step, it has the SQL Server instance set to (local) and it is disabled. We've set our SQL Server instance to a different machine, but I cannot specify this in the installer.

Is there a workaround for this? I'd like to upgrade but I'm stuck.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:05 am

The upgrade installer assumes that you are using the same SQL server as was previously installed. This is by design. It prevents bad things from happening.

If you are changing SQL server locations, first you need to move your database to the new machine (Machine B), then uninstall the Server on Machine A (to be safe you should KEEP your database on Machine A) then re-install the server and point the installer to the new SQL server loacation on Machine B. The installer will upgrade your existing database on Machine B. After the move and upgrade are successful and you are sure everything is working properly, you can remove your database from Machine A.

Please see the following KB article for instructions on how to move the Vault Database location:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=228
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

dwayne_davis

Post by dwayne_davis » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:41 am

Thanks for the response. We actually manually moved the DB some time ago. Is it safe to do the uninstall of v2.0.4 and then install v2.0.6, without re-installing v2.0.4 first?

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:53 pm

Yes, you can just uninstall 2.04 then install 2.06 (sorry if that wasn't clear in the previous response). Just specify your database location on the other machine during the install process and the installer will upgrade your database to 2.06.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear