Command line enhancement

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

christian

Command line enhancement

Post by christian » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:17 am

Hi guys, does it mean now that I'm over here at the Gold forum that you can't say no to my enhancement requests ;-)

Does the vault 3 cmd line allow querying for the following?

The file status
List Self checkouts
List Other checkouts

Ideally the last two commands would allow for an optional wildcard search to filter the files to query.

If not is this something that you can add. And if so (the inevitable question) when could you fit it in?

Thanks
Christian

dan

Re: Command line enhancement

Post by dan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:43 am

christian wrote:Hi guys, does it mean now that I'm over here at the Gold forum that you can't say no to my enhancement requests ;-)
Not necessarily - it just means that if the answer is no, we say so more quickly and politely :)

Does the vault 3 cmd line allow querying for the following?

The file status
List Self checkouts
List Other checkouts

Ideally the last two commands would allow for an optional wildcard search to filter the files to query.

If not is this something that you can add. And if so (the inevitable question) when could you fit it in?
Unfortunately, there isn't anything that displays file status. This is something that should be there. I'll add it as a feature request. Not sure about priority - what kinds of problems does this cause for you?

For listing checkouts, you can get all checkouts, but not have the list returned filtered by checkout user. Use the LISTCHECKOUTS or LISTFOLDER command, and then you'll need to parse out which files are checked out to who.

I'll add this as a feature request too, but its priority will likely be lower, since it provides convenience rather than a missing feature.

And, as always, you can modify the command line client source :)

christian

Re: Command line enhancement

Post by christian » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:17 am

dan wrote: Unfortunately, there isn't anything that displays file status. This is something that should be there. I'll add it as a feature request. Not sure about priority - what kinds of problems does this cause for you?
Ok, as part of the scripts to populate a developers machine from Vault I need a way of discriminating between those files that a developer has checked out and are therefore writeable and those that are writeable but the developer does not have checked out (ie has a status of Renegade). The former I need to skip on a recursive Get latest (easily done), the later I need to do a Get latest with overwrite. This is where the ability to inspect the file status comes in. I can do this with source safe (yuk) but not with Vault.

Bit more info here - I’m using FinalBuilder to "script" this update and yes, I am that customer who is asking whether Vault 3 will work with FinalBuilder ;-) So I'm asking them to add an Action to their product that will enable me to check the status of a file. They've said that they will only use the Vault command-line and not the API (I think this is a general policy thing not just Vault). So I'm really depending on you guys to add this so that they can add their feature!
dan wrote: For listing checkouts, you can get all checkouts, but not have the list returned filtered by checkout user. Use the LISTCHECKOUTS or LISTFOLDER command, and then you'll need to parse out which files are checked out to who.

I'll add this as a feature request too, but its priority will likely be lower, since it provides convenience rather than a missing feature.
Ok, I don't want the guys at FinalBuilder to have nothing to do :-)
dan wrote: And, as always, you can modify the command line client source :)
I agree, BUT it means my enhancements will not be available from FB (at least not without righting FB pluggins)

Thanks
Christian

dan

Post by dan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:33 am

If you need to determine whether a file is "edited" or "renegade", then wouldn't just seeing whether it is checked out suffice? A renegade file will never be checked out, since that is part of the definition of renegade. Just curious.

A collegue of mine noted that you can use LISTCHANGESET to get just the checked out files of the input user, so that might be another tool to use to solve the problem. You could get all the files checked out via that command, and overwrite any others.

christian

Post by christian » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:58 am

dan wrote:If you need to determine whether a file is "edited" or "renegade", then wouldn't just seeing whether it is checked out suffice? A renegade file will never be checked out, since that is part of the definition of renegade. Just curious.

A collegue of mine noted that you can use LISTCHANGESET to get just the checked out files of the input user, so that might be another tool to use to solve the problem. You could get all the files checked out via that command, and overwrite any others.
By Jove, I think you've cracked it :-) So with what you're saying I think there's enough in the command line functionality for the Final Builder guys to be able to implement Action's that I can use to tell me whether I have got something checked-out or someone else has it checked out.

To be fair however, I can see that being able to determine the status of a file (not just whether its checked out) will be darn handy to have available from the command line. So if this can be added my future self will be extremely grateful :-)

While I'm on the subject of the command-line features, how is the progress on adding a recursive Check-out and Get with support for wild-card specifying the files to check-out / Get? I believe you (or one of your colleagues) said this would be available in Vault 3 cmd line. This is real important as if its not in then I'll have to list each file that gets checked-out as part of the build which would be a maintenance nightmare!

Thanks
Christian

dan

Post by dan » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:58 pm

christian wrote:
To be fair however, I can see that being able to determine the status of a file (not just whether its checked out) will be darn handy to have available from the command line. So if this can be added my future self will be extremely grateful :-)
Yes, I agree - it is on the list now, as it would be useful in a general sense.

While I'm on the subject of the command-line features, how is the progress on adding a recursive Check-out and Get with support for wild-card specifying the files to check-out / Get? I believe you (or one of your colleagues) said this would be available in Vault 3 cmd line. This is real important as if its not in then I'll have to list each file that gets checked-out as part of the build which would be a maintenance nightmare!
Yes, this is in 3.0 as well. There is a GETWILDCARD for gets (that exists in 2.0.x), and in 3.0, there is a -wildcard option CHECKOUT that allows you to check out files based on a wildcard match.

christian

Post by christian » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:30 am

That's excellent news on both counts
Thanks
Christian