Version 3.0 Configuration: Email Notification

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

dan_quinn

Version 3.0 Configuration: Email Notification

Post by dan_quinn » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:48 pm

Did not do anything within the Admin Tool to setup or enable Email notification. Same for the Server. Within the VaultGui, I added my email address (myname@mycompany.com) and added a folder to "watch." I had someone checkout + modify + checkin a file in the folder I setup the email notification on. Nothing. The VaultGui show the file as Old. I select Refresh: nothing... What else do I have to do?
Thanks, Dan.
Dan in San Diego

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:50 pm

Dan:

You'll need to configure an SMTP server ( for Vault server to send outgoing mail ) within the Admin Tool.

Start the Admin Tool. Log in, and bring up the Server options tab. On this tab, there is a button for email configuration. Click the button and set your outgoing SMTP server along with any other options you wish to use to send the mail along its way.

HTH
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:09 pm

Found it, thanks. When trying to configure, we're getting an error:

"Error setting server email options: VaultServiceAPILib.VaultSoapException: Access to the path 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\vaultservice\vault.config' is denied. at VaultService.VaultAdminService.SetServerEmailOptions(VaultServerEmailOptions vOptions)"

Any tips to correct this?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:16 pm

Hmm... That is strange. A couple of things come to mind:

1) Is the file's read-only status set?
2) Does the ASP.Net Process ( which the Vault server runs under ), have read-write security access to the file?
3) Is the path, C:\inetpub\wwwroot\vaultservice\vault.config, correct?
4) Is some other process locking the file? ( You can test this by a quick edit in notepad or another text editor )
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:26 pm

jclausius wrote:Hmm... That is strange. A couple of things come to mind:

1) Is the file's read-only status set?
2) Does the ASP.Net Process ( which the Vault server runs under ), have read-write security access to the file?
3) Is the path, C:\inetpub\wwwroot\vaultservice\vault.config, correct?
4) Is some other process locking the file? ( You can test this by a quick edit in notepad or another text editor )
Thanks for the quick response!

#1 No, the file is not read-only.
#2 Yes, it does have read/write access.
#3 Yes, the path is correct.
#4 Yes, I can modify the file by hand....but if I enter a password for the SMTP user ( using a text editor ) then I get another error when I try the email settings tab: "VaultServiceAPILib.VaultSoapException: 1 : Failure at VaultService.VaultAdminService.ListServerEmailOptions(VaultServerEmailOptions_vOptions).

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:55 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear here. Changes should not be made to the file outside of the Admin tool because some of the items will be encrypted.

We're currently looking at this, and hope to have an update shortly.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

GregM

Post by GregM » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:25 am

I'm having the same problem here.

I installed 3.0.1 over an existing 2.0.6 installation. We are running Windows 2003 Web Edition. Vault is configured to use a custom domain account through its own IIS App Pool. This is the same configuration that we had with 2.0.6. I selected "custom" in the installer, and provided the correct account information.

After this problem started, I checked the web.config. Since the identity impersonation is done through the App Pool, I commented out the identity impersonation in there. No change.

I've checked all the folder permissions as listed in the knowledgebase articles, and everything seems to be fine so far.

There is nothing interesting in the vault server log, but we're not running with debug logging.

Any updates on what is causing this problem and how to fix it?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:06 am

We're still investigating. We've only had a few reports of this, so it's a little hard to pin down. Are you getting the same error message as jshuit?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:58 am

Greg and jschuit,

Email me using the button on this post. I want to make sure that the steps we're putting into the installer for 3.0.2 will fix the problem that you're seeing.

breiter

Admin Tools | Server Options | Email Settings exception

Post by breiter » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:29 pm

I also upgraded from Vault 2.xx to 3.0.1. When I attempt to configure an SMTP server by clicking on the Email Settings button the Admin Tool reports an unhandled exception.

Vault is running on Windows Server 2003 standard edition, fully patched with .NET Framework 1.1 SP1. The Microsoft smtpsvc is installed and configured locally on the server. Other applications on the server are able to use smtpsvc to send SMTP messages using the System.Web.Mail APIs in the .NET Framework. Vault has it's own AppPool and the AppPool service account has read/write permission to the /VaultService folder. Nothing is locking the vault.config file.

It appears that the exception is generated by /VaultService/VaultAdminService.asmx when ListServerEmailOptions is invoked.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: 1 : Failure
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VaultClientNetLib.AdminService.VaultAdminService.ListServerEmailOptions(VaultServerEmailOptions& vOptions)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.ListServerEmailOptions(VaultServerEmailOptions& vOptions)
at VaultAdmin.FormEmailOptions..ctor(AdminManager am)
at VaultAdmin.FormMain.buttonEmailOptions_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:50 pm

breiter,

Can you set an active directory domain successfully? It goes through much the same procedure, so I would be interested to know if it works.

breiter

Post by breiter » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:56 pm

jeremy_sg wrote:breiter,

Can you set an active directory domain successfully? It goes through much the same procedure, so I would be interested to know if it works.
The server is colocated in a datacenter without an AD. It is not a member of any domain so I cannot perform any AD related tests.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:18 pm

I just want to know if you can set the value using the admin tool. You can immediately unset it, if you're successful.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:39 am

There is a bug in the reading of the Vault.config for both 3.0.0 and 3.0.1, where if the <EmailAllowedEndings> element is missing, the email options dialog won't come up correctly. This will be corrected in 3.0.2. A workaround would be to add

Code: Select all

<EmailAllowedEndings></EmailAllowedEndings> 
right above the </appsettings> line in your vault.config file.