Vault Command-Line client COMMIT fails...

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Aaron Young

Vault Command-Line client COMMIT fails...

Post by Aaron Young » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:19 pm

Just purchased Gold support, so thought I'd try it out:

I'm using the 2.0.4 version of the Vault command-line client for my automated builds, everything in regards to getting data from vault and checking it out works fine, however, every time I try to COMMIT changes, I get the following error:

The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

The command line I'm using is:

VAULT.EXE COMMIT -user user -password password -host host -repository repository $/Path/File

I "am" able to check in the file through the GUI client using the same user, password and repository info.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:46 pm

Aaron:

- How do you connect through the GUI client ( port? SSL enabled?, etc )?

- What is the exact output from the CLC (entire XML type encoding)?

- Is there anything in the server log related to the error?

- If you do a LISTCHANGESET, is the item you are committing found in the changeset?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Nahum

Post by Nahum » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:03 pm

Just a thought, do you encase your paramaters in double quotes when they include spaces? eg

VAULT.EXE COMMIT -user "user" -password "password" -host "host" -repository "repository" "$/Path/File"

I don't know what error you would get if say the repository or path had a space in them but it might be worth checking. We use Vault from the command line lots and the only problems encountered were always tracked down to the user.
Nahum Wild
Development Group Leader
PayGlobal

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:02 am

jclausius wrote:Aaron:

- How do you connect through the GUI client ( port? SSL enabled?, etc )?

- What is the exact output from the CLC (entire XML type encoding)?

- Is there anything in the server log related to the error?

- If you do a LISTCHANGESET, is the item you are committing found in the changeset?
I'm connecting from the same machine as the CLC using the same information, SSL is not being used.

Here's the XML output of the COMMIT:

<vault>
<changeset>
<ModifyFile id="0" repospath="$/Perception/BuildDuJour/PerceptionDataObjects/Version.ver" localpath="C:\Builds\Perception\Source\Perception\BuildDuJour\PerceptionDataObjects\Version.ver" />
</changeset>
<!-- Preparing data to begin transaction -->
<!-- Beginning transaction -->
<!-- Check in $/Perception/BuildDuJour/PerceptionDataObjects/Version.ver -->
<!-- Upload for item $/Perception/BuildDuJour/PerceptionDataObjects/Version.ver failed, retrying... -->
<!-- Upload for item $/Perception/BuildDuJour/PerceptionDataObjects/Version.ver failed, retrying... -->
<!-- Upload for item $/Perception/BuildDuJour/PerceptionDataObjects/Version.ver failed too many times, aborting transaction.
Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.
The specific error was "The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request." -->
<!-- Ending the transaction -->
<!-- Transaction failed -->
<error>
Upload failed. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Consult the Messages pane for the specific error.
</error>
<exception>
System.Exception: Upload failed. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Consult the Messages pane for the specific error.
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Commit(ChangeSetItemColl givenItems, Boolean keepCheckedOut, Boolean removeLocalCopy, Boolean bIsImport, DateTime dateImport, Int32 nUserIDImport)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Commit(ChangeSetItemColl givenItems, Boolean keepCheckedOut, Boolean removeLocalCopy)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.ProcessCommandCommit(ArrayList strItemArray)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.ProcessCommand(Args curArg)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.Main(String[] args)
</exception>
<result success="no" />
</vault>

I'll have to check the server and get back to you, but I wouldn't expect there to be any difference if the GUI works.

Yes, the item I'm committing is in the change set.

Nahum, thanks for the suggestion, I'm not using quotes, but I also don't have any spaces in my project structure or file names.

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:18 am

Aaron:

It looks as if there is a problem in the upload. This can be caused by a couple of different problems:

1) Proxy configuration problem. Have you made any network configuration changes to the Vault GUI client to connect to the Vault server?

2) Weird baseline error - if the baseline file has been corrupted ( or does not exist ) for the _sgvault version of C:\Builds\Perception\Source\Perception\BuildDuJour\PerceptionDataObjects\Version.ver, the client can encounter some strange errors

3) Server side failure - something on the server is encountering a problem and the file cannot be uploaded. If you see no errors related to the error, can you place the server into Debug mode, recycle the Vault server, and try again? While in Debug mode, the log should contain all web requests made by all clients.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:30 am

jclausius wrote:Aaron:

It looks as if there is a problem in the upload. This can be caused by a couple of different problems:

1) Proxy configuration problem. Have you made any network configuration changes to the Vault GUI client to connect to the Vault server?

2) Weird baseline error - if the baseline file has been corrupted ( or does not exist ) for the _sgvault version of C:\Builds\Perception\Source\Perception\BuildDuJour\PerceptionDataObjects\Version.ver, the client can encounter some strange errors

3) Server side failure - something on the server is encountering a problem and the file cannot be uploaded. If you see no errors related to the error, can you place the server into Debug mode, recycle the Vault server, and try again? While in Debug mode, the log should contain all web requests made by all clients.
1. We are using a Microsoft ISA Server, so we had to disable chunked encoding, at the time we had to do this with a registry tweak, but now I believe there's an option in the network settings for this which is also switched off. Other than that we're using the system default proxy settings.

2. I don't think it's the baseline (wouldn't I have the same problem if the GUI?, plus I can commit the file through the GUI after it was checked out through the CRC)

3. I'll check this out and let you know if I find anything.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:46 am

I enabled Debug logging and attempted the checkout/checkin process from the CLC again, here's what I got (edited to remove I.P.):
----12/8/2004 9:39:31 AM build--I.P. (I.P.)--SSL Disabled
Login
----12/8/2004 9:39:32 AM build--I.P. (I.P.)--SSL Disabled
GetUserOptions returned: Success
GetRepositories returned: Success
Getting repository Structure.
GetRepositoryStructure returned: Success
Getting list of checkout changes.
GetCheckOutListChanges returned: Success
----12/8/2004 9:39:33 AM build--I.P. (I.P.)--SSL Disabled
Getting list of checkout changes.
GetCheckOutListChanges returned: Success
ListCloakedObjects returned: Success
GetRepositoryOptions returned: Success
----12/8/2004 9:39:38 AM build--I.P. (I.P.)--SSL Disabled
BeginTx beginning transaction
BeginTx returned: Success
VaultServiceBase.VaultRequestCheckIn returned: Success
----12/8/2004 9:39:39 AM build--I.P. (I.P.)--SSL Disabled
Ending transaction
EndTxSuccess
Logout
As you can see it appears to think it succeeded.

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:58 am

The server's log is missing a Vault File Upload entry, which means the file upload is not being seen by the Vault server.

I've asked Jeremy, who is more familiar with ISA Server and Vault to take a look here.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:11 am

Aaron,

Could you post a screenshot of you network settings in the GUI client?

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:21 am

Sure:
Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (54.79 KiB) Viewed 19292 times
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:30 am

Aaron,

Email me using the button below this post, and I'll point to you a debug version of the CLC that might help you.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:40 pm

The command line client was defaulting to using chunked encoding, regardless of the setting in the options dialog. This bug will be fixed in 3.0.1.