Problem trying to restore repositories

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Locked
christian
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: UK

Problem trying to restore repositories

Post by christian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:09 am

I keep getting the following error message when using the Admin tool to restore the vault database:

"Database restore failed. Please see the server log for specific details."

Now I assume that the log being referred to is the log for SQL Server 2000? Looking at this there is no mention of a database restore failing.

I have tried to make sure that there are no SQL connections to sgvault before attempting the restore, however the Admin tool itself establishes a connection.

Also a question - Is it possible to select an individual repository to restore?

Thanks
Christian

jclausius
Posts: 3655
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: SourceGear
Contact:

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:20 am

Is your SQL Server running in BOTH sql authentication + windows authentication?

As for single repository archives. At this time, backing up is an all or nothing proposition.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

christian
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by christian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:22 am

The SQL server hosting Vault is running both types of authentication (just double checked).

jclausius
Posts: 3655
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: SourceGear
Contact:

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:32 am

The log in question will be the Vault server log. Does anything in there explain what has happened?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

christian
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by christian » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:03 am

I looked for a file in the Vault server directory that looked to be a log file (eg log.txt, vault.log) but no luck - what is the name and location of this log file?

Can I use Enterprise manager to also perform a restore?

Thanks
Christian

jclausius
Posts: 3655
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: SourceGear
Contact:

Post by jclausius » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:21 am

christian wrote:I looked for a file in the Vault server directory that looked to be a log file (eg log.txt, vault.log) but no luck - what is the name and location of this log file?
In the Admin Tool, look at the Server Options tab. You should see Path to log file.

OR

Examine Vault Server's vault.config file. You'll find an XML element for LogFilePath

By default the path is %windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log


christian wrote:Can I use Enterprise manager to also perform a restore?
Yes
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

christian
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by christian » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:47 am

Ok, here's an entry that seems to be explaining why the Restore failed:
"Restore can not be completed while the VaultServer is in Integrated Authority Mode."

I'll revert to using EM until this is resolved.
Thanks
Christian

jclausius
Posts: 3655
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: SourceGear
Contact:

Post by jclausius » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:51 am

This may be unrelated...

What does your connect string look like in Vault Server's web.config?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

christian
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by christian » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:02 am

Is this what you're referring to...

<appSettings>
<add key="ConnectString" value="Application Name='SourceGear Vault Server'; Connection Reset='false'; Server=(local); Database=sgvault; Integrated Security='true'" />
</appSettings>

or ...
<sessionState mode="InProc" stateConnectionString="tcpip=xxx.x.x.x:xxxxx" sqlConnectionString="data source=xxx.x.x.x;user id=sa;password=" cookieless="false" timeout="4320" />

jclausius
Posts: 3655
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: SourceGear
Contact:

Post by jclausius » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:50 am

I believe that is the problem.

The Admin Tool is going to get the connect string from this file to attempt to connect to the database for database backup. Unfortunately, the Admin Tool is geared to only do backups from a connection string configured for SQL Server authentication. Hence the failure.


Two options here:

1) Reinstall the server, but using SQL Authentication for the database connection.

2) Run backups from within SQL Server itself.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

christian
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by christian » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:53 am

I'll use EM. However it would be nice if at some point this was fixed to work with both methods of authentication.

Thanks for the help
Christian

jclausius
Posts: 3655
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:17 pm
Location: SourceGear
Contact:

Post by jclausius » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:24 am

Yes, however, in most cases, the problem is the user configured to connect to the database does not necessarily have backup rights, and configuring this requires more changes to SQL Server logins.

Regardless, we do have a feature request for this. I've added your name to the list.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

christian
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by christian » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:02 am

Thanks Jeff

Locked