Vault.exe exception

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Busboy

Vault.exe exception

Post by Busboy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:59 am

When trying to use the vault client to set working folder, the vault.exe crashes. I’m using VisualBuildProfessional to build my product, and attached is the command-line used and the return values:
---
"C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\vault.exe" -host BUILDPC -user USERNAME -password PASSWORD -repository PRODUCT setworkingfolder $/Source -merge overwrite -unchanged undocheckout D:\Source

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.Logout()
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Logout()
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.Logout(Boolean bForceLogout)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.Main(String[] args)

Process completed with exit code -1073741819
---
Both server and client are using Vault v3.0.1. My build-script is running the SETWORKINGFOLDER successfully early in the script, but fails later in the script.

If I close the build-script, reopen it and manually try to execute the failing setworkingfolder - it will not crash.

Any ideas to overcome this problem?
Attachments
error.jpg
Screendump of error message
error.jpg (19.42 KiB) Viewed 10837 times

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:03 am

Off the top of my head... if you remove

Code: Select all

-merge overwrite -unchanged undocheckout
from your command line, does that seem to help?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Busboy

Post by Busboy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:15 am

:(
No - the vault client still crashes.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:02 am

So the command look similar to the following -

vault.exe -host BUILDPC -user USERNAME -password PASSWORD -repository PRODUCT SETWORKINGFOLDER "$/Source" "D:\Source"

What about other commands, do they crash as well?

Something like :

vault.exe -host BUILDPC -user USERNAME -password PASSWORD -repository PRODUCT LISTWORKINGFOLDERS
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Busboy

Post by Busboy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:33 am

When running arguments directly from command-line, everything works fine. I’m using a build tool called VisualBuildProfessional from http://www.kinook.com that has a nice GUI to command-line arguments in Vault.

I was able to crash the Vault client using VisualBuildPro:
1) Set working folder in Vault
2) Run a SUBST command (Associates a path with a drive letter)
3) Run a “Set Current Dir” command in VisualBuildPro to the subst dir
4) Do a Check-in or SetWorkingFolder in Vault will crash the client.

If I skip step 3, the vault client will not crash. Also, when testing different options I sometimes get the following error message: The connection to the server failed: server cannot be contacted or uses a protocol that is not supported by this client. 1000 : FailNotValidLogin. I assume that Vault (3.0.1) and VisualBuildPro (5.6b) is not fully integrated. To bad actually, they are both nice tools.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:21 am

If you use absolute paths, you should be able to skip step 3 anyway. Does that work for you?

As for VisualBuild Professional, if they are merely forking out to the command line client (CLC), then that should work. However, I'm uncertain of what version of the CLC they support. Perhaps some arguments have changed in the version they support vs. 3.0.1?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Busboy

Post by Busboy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:05 am

I am using absolute path for all Vault commands. If I skip step 3, the Vault client will crash.

I posted the same question to the forum on VisualBuildProfessional and here is the reply from their administrator:
I was unable to reproduce either of these behaviors using VBP 5.6b and Vault 3.0.1 client (against the sourcegear test server). I was able to reproduce a crash in the Vault client if the current directory wasn't set back to a valid drive+path after deleting the subst drive (this sequence has a consistent although slightly different behavior from a batch file: the shell complains about the directory being invalid and won't execute the vault command).

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:32 am

Can you modify things so UNSETWORKINGFOLDER on the SUBST drive is called immediately after your last valid run of the Vault Command Line Client?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Busboy

Post by Busboy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:08 am

I'm able to prevent crash and continue my build script by setting a new "Set Current Dir" to my original folder after deleting the subst path.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:12 am

Good news.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear