Determining changed files

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

GregM

Determining changed files

Post by GregM » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:10 am

In Tools-Options-Local Files in 3.0.1, there is an option to "Detect modified files using CRCs instead of modification times." This is good, but as it warns you when you turn it on, it is less efficient than using modification time. Would it be possible to have an option "Detect modified files using CRCs when modification time is different"? So, for the 90% of the files in my tree where the modification time is the same, Vault knows that they haven't been modified. However, when it runs into a file where the time is different, it then uses a CRC to see if it is currently different than the last version retrieved?

sterwill

Post by sterwill » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:34 am

I've logged a feature request for this option. This sounds like a good optimization for most Vault users. File statuses would be incorrect in the (confessedly rare) case where the file dates remain the same but the contents have changed. We have had a few customers with build systems like this (a file is changed, but the date is intentionally set back), but I think it's a rare practice overall.
Shaw Terwilliger
SourceGear LLC
`echo sterwill5sourcegear6com | tr 56 @.`

GregM

Post by GregM » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:17 pm

Shaw, making this a new option in addition to the current option should take care of that problem.