What happens if a 2.0 client connects to a 3.0 vault server?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

popezilla

What happens if a 2.0 client connects to a 3.0 vault server?

Post by popezilla » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:11 pm

I want to upgrade my Vault server but I do not want to manage the whines and snivels of users who cannot access the Vault with their 2.0 client.

What I would REALY like to happen is that the 2.0 client comes up and states 'You must upgrade your client to the latest version at this URL: xxx)

What's going to happen if I upgrade the Vault server and don't take the time to upgrade the clients from 2.0.6?

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:28 pm

Unfortunately, the Vault client doesn't have anything like this yet, although it is on our wish-list. You'll have to endure whining and sniveling for now :(

However, the server installer does come with a downloadable client installer within it. After the server is installed, you can go the http://[yourvaultserver]/VaultService, and there is a link from there that your users can use to download the correct client version.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:29 pm

Oh, in answer to your actual question, the users will get an error that says something like "this server uses a protocol not recognized by this client"

Tri

Post by Tri » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:38 pm

dan wrote:Oh, in answer to your actual question, the users will get an error that says something like "this server uses a protocol not recognized by this client"
Should I understand that this means "It is impossible for client 2.x to access 3.x server"?

Is there a similar and visible error message if the user connects through VS2003?

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:53 pm

Yes, that is correct - 2.0 clients cannot connect to 3.0 servers. The error should be the same in the IDE as well.