Check-in comment not visible on addition of folder??

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

christian

Check-in comment not visible on addition of folder??

Post by christian » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:10 am

Hi,
A comment I keyed in when adding file/folder from the Vault GUI is not showing up when querying folder history by version. It does appear when querying the folder by item, at least it shows on the history item logging the folder creation.

I have to manually add this comment by showing history for the folder by version and then modify the comment associated with the change set that created the folder (and its subfolders).

Now this appears more likely that this is a problem with the query functionality not displaying what's been recorded in the repository?

Can you diagnose the problem?
Thanks
Christian

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:22 am

There are two kinds of comments associated with transactions - a change set comment and an item comment. The change set comment is displayed in the history by version query and the item comments are displayed in the history by item (although in that screen, if there is no item comment, it displays the change set comment). This allows an overall change set comment, plus comments for each individual file that is part of the checkin.

When adding a file or folder, the comment that is created is actually an item comment, not a change set comment, so it doesn't get displayed when viewing history by version. It is an item comment because if you are in the mode where you don't automatically commit your changes (like add), you could have a change set that includes both an Add and some other operation, and it might not make sense for the add comment to be the change set comment.

christian

Post by christian » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:24 am

I thought you were probably making the distinction. So if I want to explicitly add a change set common when, say, I use the recursive Add file/folder menu I need to turn Auto commit off which will save up my additions in a change set that I can commit manually?

Thanks
Christian

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:44 pm

Yes, although the comment you enter in the Add dialog will still be an item comment rather than a change set comment, so you will need add the comment in the change set area if you want it to show up in the history by version dialog.

christian

Post by christian » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:47 pm

Will do!