How to identify merge activity within a repository

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

christian

How to identify merge activity within a repository

Post by christian » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:18 pm

Another question...

I just merged changes on a branch back into its trunk. Now, suppose a week or two has gone by, how would someone who was not aware of the merge go about finding:
a) that a merge has taken place?
b) establish what changes were merged?
c) how conflicts were resolved?

Now suppose also a user wants to find out what changes made on the branch have NOT been merged into the trunk?

Thanks
Christian

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:51 pm

In general, Vault currently does not keep this kind of merge history. The result of a merge branches operation is just another transaction, not really different from any other. You can inspect that transaction from history, but it is not distinguished as a merge operation.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

christian

Post by christian » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:30 am

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the reply. I think this area is ripe for enhancement as these types of questions are obvious (including showing branch points in the client!). I suppose one simple enhancement that would assist in resolving some of the issues is the ability to use wildcards to search change set comments / labels.

What are your plans for improvements in this area? What's the kind of time scales do you give to these plans? Is the wildcard search something that you can add soon?

Thanks
Christian