Merge Branches checks out files

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

GregM

Merge Branches checks out files

Post by GregM » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:52 pm

I'm using a cross between CVS and VSS styles, in that my local files are read-only, but I don't require a check-out before check-in. (I keep the files read-only to reduce the possibility that I accidentally change one of the core header files that forces a full rebuild of the product.) When I use the merge branches wizard, it checks out the files. I would expect that since I don't require check-out, that it wouldn't check out the files. Is it perhaps using the "read-only" switch instead of the require check-out switch to make that decision?

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:39 am

Well, actually it uses no switch at all to make that decision. Merge Branches always checks out the files it needs to modify.

It didn't always work this way. The change was made for version 2.0, to fix what we call bug 6555. That bug was basically a report from someone who said merge branches fails when the target working files are read-only.

In a nutshell, Merge Branches either must checkout the files (thus making them writable) or it must simply change the files to be writable. The former choice seemed more correct to us, so we did it that way.

Is this causing you difficulties?
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

GregM

Post by GregM » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:11 pm

No, it just seemed odd that it didn't follow my settings. That explanation sounds reasonable enough.