Feature Request: add default mssccprj.scc file on Get Latest

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

asills

Feature Request: add default mssccprj.scc file on Get Latest

Post by asills » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:05 pm

This is really a throwback from working with SourceSafe, but when you Get Latest on a folder in SourceSafe that contains a project file (I'm not sure which files trigger it, but at least the visual studio project files do), VSS will automatically create a MSSCCPRJ.SCC file in that same directory for you so you can open the project file directly and be bound to source control immediately.

Vault will do this only when you go to Visual Studio and Open From Source Control, so if you try to use your existing SCC-style (get latest from source control then open the project), you have to manually bind to the correct project in Vault. The simple solution is to Add From Source Control every time, however everyone here is used to working with VSS in this manner and really don't like change very much.

I know this is an annoying feature (I wouldn't want to do it, for "purity"'s sake), however it would take a good step towards making "replacing VSS" a bit easier.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:44 pm

We get this request from time to time, and I will add yours to the feature request. We generally don't like to create files in working folders that don't exist in Vault, as that should be the IDEs job, but understand that VSS does this, and that some prefer it that way.

Note that you should only have to do the Open From Source Control the first time, and Gets after that should work fine.

asills

Post by asills » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:30 pm

Yeah, I understand, but the people I work with may not or it may just continually annoy them whenever we have new projects. It would be nice for it to be an option in the Vault client, but honestly I can go either way.

christian

Post by christian » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:22 am

Can you add my vote to this feature as I regularly (once a week) delete my working directory and recreate it from Vault so having to bind a project each time is a real pain in the arse.

Not sure why Vault would need to add MSSCCPRJ.SCC file to maintain the bindings. Surely this binding information could be stored where it’s currently located (in Local Settings??).

Thanks
Christian