Implementation

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

D Seitz

Implementation

Post by D Seitz » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:08 am

Would someone be able to walk me through the Shadow Folder configuration of a Windows 2003 Server?

Is there ever a case when "checking in" a file, that immediately updating the server would not be desired? Have I configured the server incorrectly?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:18 am

Due to the security model in IIS 6, configuring shadow folders can be a pain.

Can you explain what you've done so far? Have you followed the steps outlined in the KB article - Shadow Folders on Windows 2003 server?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

D Seitz

Post by D Seitz » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:26 am

Pretty much. I didn't create a user on the Domain, just the box. That aside I did everything else but set permissions on the assembly folder. No amount of coaxing through the interface or command line would allow me to modify them.

Also, is there ever a case where you would not want the source files to be modified on check in. In other words, is "check in" a misnomer? Are we really just version tracking?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:50 am

D Seitz wrote:Pretty much. I didn't create a user on the Domain, just the box. That aside I did everything else but set permissions on the assembly folder. No amount of coaxing through the interface or command line would allow me to modify them.
Did you try un-registering shfusion.dll file, modifying the folder properties, and then re-registering them?
D Seitz wrote:Also, is there ever a case where you would not want the source files to be modified on check in. In other words, is "check in" a misnomer? Are we really just version tracking?
This depends on what you want to achieve. Any time a file is committed with no changes, the client can decide to release the lock or merely bump the version with no "real" change applied to the file.

Users use the system in different manners, and we have customers who want the non-changed file to have a new version / timestamp. Other users only want to track changes. In either case, there is an option in the Client which controls committing an unmodified file. This option can be set to release the lock ( no change to the file ) or actually make a new version for the unmodified file.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:53 am

Getting back to your shadow folder question. Once you've configured the Custom .Net account, you use the Vault Admin tool for configuration.

With the Admin Tool, under repository options, there is a button for Shadow Folder configuration. Within this dialog, you merely set mappings from Repository paths to Physical disk locations.

What happens next is when any modification is made to Vault's repository, it notifies the Shadow Folder web service, which then does a GET of the latest information for any mapped paths. In essence, it creates a recursive "copy" of the latest information within that repository's path.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

D Seitz

Post by D Seitz » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:56 am

Yes. I had no luck with the unregister re-register either. I mean I could do it but it had no effect on allowing me to modify the permissions.

The question I'm asking with regards to source is why when I check a file back in, if part of the dialog is remove local copy, would it not automatically post the modified file back to the server as a source file, not require I copy iy back manually.