Merge Behavior Clarification

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bcargill

Merge Behavior Clarification

Post by bcargill » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:52 am

I have been working in a branch for a few months. I've periodically brought the branch up-to-date with the main code stream (by merging the changes made to the main, into the branch). This is to avoid getting too far out of synch with the main. Now I am merging the branch back into the main.

The problem is, I seem to be getting duplication of any changes that were made when I was bringing the branch up-to-date. If a function was added in the main, then merged into the branch, now that I merge the branch back to the main- I get two copies of the function.

Is this a bug, or am I using the Vault in an unintended fashion?
This was my old use-model with MS VSS.

Thanks for your help.

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:13 am

This is a known limitation with the current design of our merge branches feature. When you select the changes in your branch to be merged back into the trunk, you need to avoid selecting the stuff which has already come over from the trunk to that branch. Yes, this is very tedious. That's why we plan to address this issue in the next major release.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

bcargill

Post by bcargill » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:21 am

Thanks- I understand. I need to weed out the duplication on the front end- rather than the back end of the process.

Tedious, but not nearly as bad as what I thought I was facing.