How do I branch a shared file?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mlippert

How do I branch a shared file?

Post by mlippert » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:02 pm

I've got a file which is shared.

I want to leave the share alone, but branch that file (to an new name in the same directory actually). However when I select "Branch" I get the dialog which I presume breaks the share, not the dialog that lets me create a new branch of the file.

Is there some way to do what I want?

Mike

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:13 pm

I suppose you could break the share, rename the file, then reshare the file, but if you don't need the history of the file to carry into the branch, simply adding another (renamed copy) would be my recommendation (no use unnecessarily complicating history via the branch/rename/reshare).

This is (unfortunately) a side-effect of "branch" being an overloaded term. The original choice was between conforming to VSS command usage (and reduce learning curve for VSS users), or not overloading branch, and have a seperate "unshare" command. Since we specifically want to make the VSS transition easier we decided on overloaded terms.

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:20 pm

yeah as I was asking the question, I was wondering if my only option was going to be to break the share, delete the new "branch" that created, branch the original file, and then recreate the share.

I actually really do want to branch the file (the old file is schema v1 which is now gold, and we are about to modify it for schema v2, so it would be nice to see how it derives from v1).

How about adding a button in the "break the share" dialog, that switches to the make a new branch dialog?

Mike
Last edited by mlippert on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:36 pm

I'll add the button as a feature request...