Open from source control deletes existing solutions

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

stevefish

Open from source control deletes existing solutions

Post by stevefish » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:40 am

I'm having a problem where Vault deletes existing solution files (*.sln) when I open another solution from my Vault repository. I think this is caused by my folder structure. Can you please confirm?

To see further details... I posted to the regular forum before I realized I should use the Gold forum. Please see http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=3547.

Thanks

dan

Post by dan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:56 am

Visual Studio doesn't like having two solution files in the same folder under source control - not sure why, but it is actually the one doing this. Vault doesn't delete files in local working folders unless it is told to.

It's too bad, because having multiple solution files in the same folder is a pretty common and useful thing. You'll need to do an Open From Source Control each time you switch projects (which is a pain), or choose different working folders or otherwise restructure the solutions.

stevefish

Post by stevefish » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:08 am

That is really annoying. I don't understand why this isn't a Vault issue. I would have to test, but I thought this structure works in VSS. Do you happen to know?

Obviously, if the solutions are not under source code control, this structure works fine. Are you saying that Visual Studio's SCC integration somehow deletes the files? But this dialog with the overwrite option is coming from Vault, not Visual Studio.

stevefish

Post by stevefish » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:13 am

Actually, I see that the dialog with the Overwrite option is part of Visual Studio (confirmed via the Help topic). Funny, I never saw this in VSS, but maybe I never used this structure with many solution sln's in one folder.

Thanks