Recommendation for handling different releases

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

Recommendation for handling different releases

Post by Tri » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:09 am

Hi,

Can you please advise a method to use Vault to handle different releases?

We have two releases. The code are checked in to separate repositories R1 and R2. The application consists of .NET assemblies, Wev Services and web applications. We would like to maintain both releases separately without mixing the code on the dev machine (ie. code of Release1 in C:\R1 and code of R2 in C:\R2). Ideally, the code of web applications must be separated too.

For code maintenance using Visual Studio 2003, we would like to switch back and forth from R1 to R2 easily and without side-effects (change on R1 must not impact R2 code).

Thanks in advance for your help.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:00 pm

I think you would just need to define two completely separate working folders for each application, and it should work fine.

The web application might be tricky though if the name of the Virtual Folder needs to be the same in both projects, since you can't have the same virtual folder name in IIS. Perhaps you could define an entirely separate website in IIS, in which case you could probably use the same virtual folder name, but then you'd need to specify the name of the website rather than localhost when accessing it.

Tri

Post by Tri » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:34 pm

dan wrote:I think you would just need to define two completely separate working folders for each application, and it should work fine.
True, works OK for assemblies & winForm.
dan wrote:The web application might be tricky though if the name of the Virtual Folder needs to be the same in both projects, since you can't have the same virtual folder name in IIS. Perhaps you could define an entirely separate website in IIS, in which case you could probably use the same virtual folder name, but then you'd need to specify the name of the website rather than localhost when accessing it.
That's is exactly here where we have troubles. Separate website root while keeping same web virtual folder names would be convenient for us. The problem is that our dev machines use WinXP and you can only have ONE webroot.

We prefer not to change the virtual folder because that could introduce subtle errors for deployment. Do you think it is viable to get latest + overwrite the content of the web folders each time we work on a release?

dan

Post by dan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:51 pm

Tri wrote:We prefer not to change the virtual folder because that could introduce subtle errors for deployment. Do you think it is viable to get latest + overwrite the content of the web folders each time we work on a release?
Yes, I think that approach would work fine.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:11 am

When switching between branches of the Vault server that I'm developing, I use a batch file like this:

Code: Select all

c:\InetPub\AdminScripts\stopweb.vbs -a 1
c:\InetPub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs DELETE w3svc/1/root/VaultService
c:\InetPub\AdminScripts\mkwebdir -w "Default Web Site" -v "VaultService","c:\vault\src\service"
c:\InetPub\AdminScripts\chaccess -a w3svc/1/ROOT/VaultService +read -write +script +execute
c:\InetPub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs APPCREATEPOOLPROC w3svc/1/root/VaultService

rd /S /Q  "c:\documents and settings\jeremy.sourcegear\vswebcache"
This batch file deletes the virtual directory and recreates it, pointing to the working folder on disk. This way, I can have a branch at c:\vault\src\service and another at c:\vault20\src\service. Perhaps this will work for you?

Tri

Post by Tri » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:06 am

Hi Jemery,

Very helpful. Thank you for the suggestion.