Get Latest and Get by Label does not bring down correct ver.

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Thalko

Get Latest and Get by Label does not bring down correct ver.

Post by Thalko » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:53 am

When calling Get Latest and Get by Label i am still getting an older version of a file. Is this a bug, or is there some other issue(Sql Server etc.) that may cause this. I checked the target computer, and it has plenty free space to get the latest files.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:55 am

Which Vault version are you using?

Get Latest should always retrieve the latest version, but if the file has been modified locally, it may not overwrite it based on the Get options that are used. What is the state of the file as reported by the GUI client before and after the Get?

Thalko

Post by Thalko » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:03 am

the version we are using is 3.0.1. The target directory for which the get by label operation should be placing the files is a diretory that only gets modified by this same "get by label" process, so no editing on the files by the end user. The Get by Label command is issued through Visual Build Pro to do an automated build of our code at that point in time the label was placed. Still the old version was being retrieved.

Other end users were still seeing this behavior on their local computers when issuing a "get by label" or "get latest" commands. I rebooted the server and after that the issue seemed to be resolved, but is there any way to resolve this for future issues without rebooting the server?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:26 am

Do you happen to know if Visual Build Pro uses the Vault Command Line Client to execute commands?

A bug was fixed in Vault 3.0.3, in which the CLC -getlabel always gets the latest version of a file within a labeled folder.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:49 am

You should check that your get is set to overwrite. If it is set to attempt to merge, even though you haven't really made any changes to the file in the working folder the get may fail because of merge conflicts.

This has happened to me a couple of times and it took me a while to figure out why.

What causes this is if the file was deleted and then a new file is added back with the same name. (There may be other conditions that have to exist as well, I didn't examine it further I just did a new get latest telling Vault to overwrite).

Mike

Thalko

Post by Thalko » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:07 pm

the get command has the property set to overwrite when retrieving files. I am not sure if Visual Build Pro calls vault throught the commandline or not. There is an interface inside Build Pro to interact with vault, and you have checboxes etc. to set this 'overwrite' behavior.

the website for Build Pro says that Vault is a supported tool of their product, but doesn't say how it interfaces with it:

http://www.kinook.com/VisBuildPro/thirdparty.html

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:30 pm

Would it be hard to try a Vault 3.0.3 client (or above) on one machine to see if this is the problem regarding the label?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:15 pm

Just took another look at the bug, this problems seems to also be related to fixes in the Vault Server version 3.0.3.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Thalko

Post by Thalko » Mon May 02, 2005 9:44 am

I will attempt to upgrade the server piece today hopefully. To accomplish this, what is the proper steps. I will backup the database, and the Vault.config/ and web.config files, but what is the steps to proceed from then on? should i just run the install, or do i need to uninstall the old application?

Also, regarding keeping the software up to date, is there any way of keeping on top of when a new version is released other than checking the downloads page every few days? Is there an RSS feed, or mailing list to keep users informed of such releases?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon May 02, 2005 9:51 am

Thalko wrote:I will attempt to upgrade the server piece today hopefully. To accomplish this, what is the proper steps. I will backup the database, and the Vault.config/ and web.config files, but what is the steps to proceed from then on? should i just run the install, or do i need to uninstall the old application?
After the successfully, verified backup has been created, run the Server installation. You don't necessarily have to uninstall and reinstall.
Thalko wrote:Also, regarding keeping the software up to date, is there any way of keeping on top of when a new version is released other than checking the downloads page every few days? Is there an RSS feed, or mailing list to keep users informed of such releases?
Try the Release Announcements Feed - http://support.sourcegear.com/rss.php?f=15
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear