Cloaked folders, could that improve client performance?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

Cloaked folders, could that improve client performance?

Post by Tri » Tue May 17, 2005 9:55 pm

Vault Server 3.07, Client 3.06.

I connect to a repository having 50 folders. I work only on 3 folders. If I cloak the 47 other folders, would that improve my Vault Client performance?

Generally, can you please advise the guidelines about using cloak folders?

Thanks in advance.

dan

Post by dan » Wed May 18, 2005 7:08 am

Cloak only affects client Gets, so it will greatly improve the performance of Gets, but won't have an effect on anything else.

What kinds of performance issues are you seeing? Note that only specifying working folders for folders you actually use should also help with scanning times.

Tri

Post by Tri » Wed May 18, 2005 8:41 am

I don't know where and how to qualify the performance issues. For sure Vault operations (log in, check in/out) seem to be clearly slower than last month.

Our DB size didn't increase significantly. It could be a network speed issue through the http proxy (I am currently offsite and the proxy is mandatory). However, using the browser to surf & download from the Internet, the speed seems to be quite correct (250 KB/sec).

We set working folder for the project we need to work. All the sub-folders below the project are inherited.

The idea of cloaking other folders is just an attempt to help Vault client to speed up. The idea is "if we filter out all other folders, Vault client only sees 3 folders out of 50, then it should behave like if it deals with a very lightweight repository". Is it correct?