Vault Server 3.07: Check in undone when opening project

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

Vault Server 3.07: Check in undone when opening project

Post by Tri » Tue May 17, 2005 10:31 pm

Server 3.07, Client 3.06

I worked on an assembly and have modified 3 files. I checked in the 3 files this evening (from within VS2003). I am 100% sure I have checked all files in.

Tonight, I updated the server from 3.06 to 3.07. After the update, I open the VS2003 solution project just for testing the new server.

The 3 files mentioned above became checked out, undoing all changes. Even stranger, the 3 files are seen as checked out but they still remain Read-Only.

Clearing the local cache didn't solve the problem. I had to undo checkout. Check out again, replace the files with those from _sgbak folder. And check in.

I don't know if this has anything to do with 3.07, I have seen this behaviour before with 3.06. Is there any reason for Vault to ignore the latest check-in status? Could it be a Visual Studio integration problem?

dan

Post by dan » Wed May 18, 2005 7:22 am

Are the changes you made reflected in the history of the files? Or, does it look like when you checked the file in that it undid the checkout?

Vault is supposed to undo checkout on checkin if the file has not changed. Were the files actually modified?

One thing to suggest is to turn on client logging (see http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2146), and if it happens again, we can might be able to see why it woud undo the checkout (you might want to turn on logging for just hte "commit" class so the log file doesn't grow too big).

UPDATE: I just noticed your post at http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 4503#14503 about logging in as different users. Is it possible that you checked one file in as user1, but then logged in as user2 to the same working folder? That would cause problems if it is the case.

Tri

Post by Tri » Wed May 18, 2005 8:26 am

I think this could have something to do with the fact that I logged in with a different user. Here are the chain of events.

- I logged in under userX, using Vault Client. I browsed around the project tree to ensure user permissions are appropriate.

- I didn't change or set any working folder.

- UserX has no permission on the project I was working on.

- I don't remember if I checked in the files (from within VS2003) while I was still logged in under userX. But I assume that if it was, I would get an error message from Vault client. My VS2003, Vault Admin Tool were still opened while I was switching user accounts using Vault client.

Do you see anything wrong?

dan

Post by dan » Wed May 18, 2005 8:37 am

You should be able to have two users logged in at the same time on the same machine, as long as they don't share working folders. But having one user attempt to checkin files that were modified or checked out by another user will cause problems.

Tri

Post by Tri » Wed May 18, 2005 8:53 am

Then that couldn't explain the issue I had because the UserX and I work on different projects. I don't have any of his files on my local disk.