Could not automatically merge "filename" due to co

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

erenken

Could not automatically merge "filename" due to co

Post by erenken » Fri May 20, 2005 7:04 pm

I am running versin 3.0.6

We have been having a lot of problems with merging. Here is the error I get:

[5/20/2005 8:55:49 PM] Could not automatically merge C:\Visual Studio Projects\Exaktime\DOTTime\dotTime.Common\AssemblyInfo.cs due to conflicts

The only difference when I look at them is this:

Repository version:
[assembly: AssemblyVersion("3.0.0.13")]

Working version:
[assembly: AssemblyVersion("3.0.0.4")]

That should be able to merge that. I am includeing my log file. Here are the classes I am logging, but it seems to have nothing in the log about this problem.

<add key="classesToLog" value="get,ide,mergebranches,refresh" />

Please help us on this.
Attachments
VaultIDEClient.txt
VS 2003 IDE
(911.63 KiB) Downloaded 469 times

dan

Post by dan » Fri May 20, 2005 8:44 pm

Our merge engine (like most merge engines) is line based, so if a change happens on the same line in both the working version and the repository version, it is considered to be a conflict, because we can't tell which version of the line is the "correct" one.

If the only change is the version number, and the repository version is always the one you want to use, you can do the Get with the Override option turned on and it will replace the working file with the repository version.

erenken

Merge Conflicts

Post by erenken » Mon May 23, 2005 6:50 pm

I figured where there was a merege conflict it couldn't resolove the merge application would appear. This would then let me chose which changes to keep and then merge the files. I thought that was how VSS did it.

The only way I seem to be able to get around this in the VS IDE is to delete the file from my project and then get the latest version of the project so it gets that file again.

dan

Post by dan » Tue May 24, 2005 7:42 am

Yes, it is harder to control from the IDE, because the Get Latest "pre-dialog" doesn't come up by default allowing you to change Get options for a particular Get.

Note that you can choose to bring up that dialog on every Get from the IDE (from VS, Tools->Options->Source Control->Advanced), but when you turn that on, there is a bug in Visual Studio where it displays the dialog multiple times for each Get operation, so it ends up being pretty annoying.