VS integration: prompt to create folder that already exists

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mcliedtk

VS integration: prompt to create folder that already exists

Post by mcliedtk » Thu May 26, 2005 10:52 am

I am trying a clean download of a solution from Vault via VS: "File/Source Control/Open from source control". I have opened this solution in the past, but I am not clear on how we got it to work in the first place.

The first thing I did was set the working folders in the Vault Client GUI. So this placed an empty folder for the solution under Visual Studio Projects, as well as empty folders in wwwroot for the web projects. Then I opened VS, went to the "Open from source control" dialog, and selected the folder with the solution file. A prompt appeared asking me to create the project folder under Visual Studio Projects, claiming that it did not exist, even though it does. And when I click yes, it fails to create it, as one would expect. But clicking No or Cancel does not get me anywhere.

If I delete the folder under Visual Studio Projects, and go through the same process, it still asks me to create it, and has the same failed error message.

I have turned on logging both by the config file and the registry key. The only error that I see that seems to have any meaning is this:

<generic>: [<No Name>:1612] FileSystemWatcher error, probably overflow of its internal buffer: System.IO.ErrorEventArgs Too many changes at once in directory:C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects.

But I'm not sure if this is related to what I am doing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

dan

Post by dan » Thu May 26, 2005 1:25 pm

Generally you want to assign working folders from within Visual Studio if you are going to use IDE integration for that project, but it sounds like you did remove them. Perhaps you should unset the working folders from within the Vault GUI client, and then set them from the IDE (when it is opening the solution from there), as it might be that having a pre-existing Vault working folder association confuses the IDE.

So, try that and if it doesn't help, report back (actually, report back either way :))

mcliedtk

Post by mcliedtk » Thu May 26, 2005 1:42 pm

I tried removing the working folder associations and setting them via the IDE. When I did so, VS tried to open the solution, but was unable to open the projects. I attached a screen shot of my solution explorer after the attempt.

So it appears that it cannot find the project files.
Attachments
SolutionExplorer.gif
SolutionExplorer.gif (4.99 KiB) Viewed 6386 times

dan

Post by dan » Thu May 26, 2005 1:51 pm

Wait, this looks like it is the same project/solution as here: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 4732#14732

How was this solution added to Vault, and is it broken for everyone on the team?

mcliedtk

Post by mcliedtk » Thu May 26, 2005 2:13 pm

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the confusion over this problem. We are new to Vault, and have developers on opposite sides of the world trying to get this going at different times of the day, so we've been contacting you through our different logins.

So we added this solution to Vault via an import. The solution was originally created through VS and added to VSS, which seemed to do weird things to it at the time. So it sounds like the actual structure of our current solution is causing problems.

I will try to restructure the solution manually, and add it back to Vault to see if that would help.

Thanks,
Michael

mcliedtk

Post by mcliedtk » Thu May 26, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi Dan,

I ended up opening the solution from source control, unbinding it, and then adding each project from source control individually to the blank solution. Then I added the solution back to source control. This worked.

Thanks,
Michael

dan

Post by dan » Thu May 26, 2005 4:08 pm

Hey great - glad you are up and running