Get Latest Failing in GUI Client

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Aaron Young

Get Latest Failing in GUI Client

Post by Aaron Young » Fri May 27, 2005 8:17 am

Server: 3.0.6
Client: 3.0.6

When trying to "Get Latest Version" on a top-level project recursively I get the following error:
Server was unable to process request. --> Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
I have enabled Debug level logging on the server and it shows no errors during the operation attempt.
I also enabled GUI Client logging and it also shows no errors. (no class filter, stack trace & thread enabled.)

If I perform the operation on a sub project that contains fewer sub-projects/files, the operation is successful.

This isn't a critical issue for me right now as I typically perform most operations via VS.NET 2003 IDE which seems to be working fine. (probably because it would never get everything under the top-level project at once.), but wanted to make sure you were aware of this apparent issue.

Regards,

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri May 27, 2005 8:40 am

Aaron:

Is there anything in your server log that indicates a problem?

Also, I want to make sure the repository is OK.

A) On one of your Vault clients, shut down all instance of Vault GUI and IDE clients.

B) Next rename %APPDATA%\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client to %APPDATA%\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client_XYZ.

C) Now restart the Vault client. Can you still see your repository in the repository listing?

D) After completing this test, you can delete the %APPDATA%\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client and rename %APPDATA%\SourceGear\Vault_1\Client_XYZ.

Assuming steps A,B,C, and D check out, you should upgrade your Server to Vault 3.0.7.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:54 am

There's nothing in the log, at least not that I can see (I've attached it for you),

unfortunately the issue seems to have escalated; this morning it would appear that we have lost
at least 1 entire project tree from a repository with no mention of it in the Server log.

I know for a fact that it was in Vault as of 1:07am this morning (06/01/05) because we have a
nightly build process which gets all the source from Vault and it has the missing files dated at that time.

At this point, I'm just a little leary of the integrity of our Vault database, please advise.

- Aaron.
Attachments
sgvault.zip
(403.79 KiB) Downloaded 962 times
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:08 am

I've also started seeing tmp files in the repositories; they have names like: ~sakdba64fd701c565f0.tmp and comments of:
Temporary file created by Visual Studio .NET to detect SourceGear Vault Client capabilities.
I don't recall seeing these prior to Vault 3.0.6, any ideas on this? could it be related?
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:13 am

To see what is happening, I'm going to have to get a look inside your database. I'll need results for the following queries:

1) SELECT repid, name, currenttxid FROM sgvault.dbo.tblrepositories

2) SELECT x.repid, x.txid FROM sgvault.dbo.tblfulltreerevisionfolders x WHERE EXISTS ( SELECT y.repid FROM sgvault.dbo.tblrepositories y WHERE y.repid = x.repid AND y.currenttxid = x.txid )

Please note, once we correct the problem, we'll need to make sure you upgrade to Vault 3.0.7 to prevent these future problems.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:19 am

I've sent the results to your email (via your profile) as I'd rather not post too much specific information about our data here.

By the way, the Repository we're having problems in is id = 4.

Thanks,

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:26 am

jclausius wrote:Please note, once we correct the problem, we'll need to make sure you upgrade to Vault 3.0.7 to prevent these future problems.
So you're fairly sure this is a problem that could have been avoided with 3.0.7?

I noticed in the release notes that it mentioned database integrity under heavy loads, but it didn't elaborate,
I didn't install the update as I had just installed 3.0.6 when 3.0.7 was released a day or two after,
(when the releases are being made fairly frequently, I install perhaps every other release.),
and as the notes didn't seem to include anything critical, I decided to wait for 3.0.8+
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:02 am

From the looks of your results, I don't think this is the case.

I sent you another email. Did you receive it yet?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:13 am

Yes, sorry for the delay, I've responded to your last email.

Is there a way to determine what happened to the missing files by running a query on the Database?

We have a couple of non-developer users so it's not outside the realm of possability
that someone accidently moved/removed the files (though it would be extremely unlikely)

I have the files that I could add back into vault, though we'd obviosuly lose the history we had,
but I'm more concerned with making sure the database is reliable before we continue to use it.

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:16 am

We've got different mediums going on. Let's finish this up by email, and I'll post a summary here when we've reached some sort of idea of what has transpired.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:54 pm

We don't have enough information to know what happened yet, but but we've got Aaron up and running.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear