Group Based Security and Default User Rights

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Thalko

Group Based Security and Default User Rights

Post by Thalko » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:42 pm

When a new folder(branch) is created in vault people have full access to the folder because the Default User Rights are set to have full access. I changed this so that the default is Read Only for all the non-Admin users and access will need to be granted explicitly.

All my Non-Admin users are in a Security Group in vault and i would like to grant access to folders at the Group Level so that i do not have to grant rights for each individual user for each specified folder. I attempted to do this in the Vault Admin by adding Assignments for Security Rights for each necessary folder to the Group directly but the Groups users are still denied the required access they need.

please tell me if what i am trying to accomplish(security based on groups only) is possible with your product, and if so, please share some insight as to how i might accomplish it.

Thx,
Tom

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:16 pm

This should work; I just set up something like this in Vault 3.0.7.

What version of Vault are you using?

Could you post screenshots of your Security Rights window for your Security Group? It might also be helpful to see the Edit Group page for your group. Or you can email them to Linda at SourceGear.com

Did users close their clients and reconnect after the rights were granted? New rights don't take affect until clients re-connect to the server.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:38 pm

Tom's user belonged to a group that had RCA rights on a subfolder, but the user had explicit R rights for the parent directory. The explicit right on the parent took precedence over the Group rights on the subfolder.

Tom removed the user's explicit rights on the parent folder and the user now has access to the subdirectory as a member of the group.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager