Branch taking more than 8 hours

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Nahum

Branch taking more than 8 hours

Post by Nahum » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:09 pm

Ok the first point I should make is that we are not on the latest version of Vault - 2.06.

Branching during working hours used to take 10-15 minutes, but recently it's ballooned out to a massive number of hours (9 so far) when run over night - this is a regular branch we do every two months as part of our release process on the same main code trunk. The branch is a small one of approx 2000 files and 20-30 folders. Would more information help? Our database is 17GB in size.

What could be causing this? We have separate physical SQL Server and IIS Servers. Vault is not the only DB on the SQL Server; they are coping fine with the load that we are placing them under.

In searching I found the post titled : "The TreeDeltaCompressionThreshold option" which possibly explains other problems we have had with clients timing out on initial connection. But I don't think this one.

Would my problem be solved by upgrading to Vault 3? We have accelerated our plans for this anyway.
Nahum Wild
Development Group Leader
PayGlobal

lbauer

L

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:35 pm

Are you experiencing reduced performance in other operations, or just in branching?

Do you perform regular maintenance on your Vault database? Recommendations here:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2924

A fragmented disk drive on the SQL Server machine can also cause poor performance. Have you checked the drive recently?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Nahum

Post by Nahum » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:47 pm

Ah, thats a helpful post I'd not found before - I'll follow the db maintance thru and see where that takes me.

In terms of performance, it's generally just branching but we also get the occasional failed checkin. Apart from that it's slower during the day compared to 2am in the morning when I'm the only person at work on the network.

Thanks for link, I'll let you know how it goes.
Nahum Wild
Development Group Leader
PayGlobal

Nahum

Post by Nahum » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:38 pm

It turns out that someone scheduled a backup of our SQL Server machine while I was doing the branch and that killed things.

:)
Nahum Wild
Development Group Leader
PayGlobal