How best to test 3.1?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

ismangil

How best to test 3.1?

Post by ismangil » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:28 pm

We are currently at 3.0.6 and would be interested to move to 3.1 if the benefits outweigh the potential disruption.

So is there anyway for me to do a test install of 3.1 using a snapshot of my current 3.0.6 db?

Do I have to install to a different (physical) app & db server?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:06 pm

Vault 3.1 was officially released today:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4294

There shouldn't be any particular disruption, but if you want to test it before you upgrade, you can install Vault to a different server/SQL server.

Backup and restore a copy of your 3.0.7 database to the new SQL Server. Then run the Vault 3.1 installer on the test machine. The installer will upgrade your database. Once the database has been upgraded, it can't be used with a Vault 3.0.7 server.

Vault 3.1 Client upgrades will automatically convert all of the client cache files to a new format. If users revert to a pre 3.1 client they will need to delete their client-side cache files before reinstalling the 3.0.7 client.

You can use 3.0.7 clients with Vault 3.1, though you won't have benefit of some new features and bug fixes.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:33 pm

A quick correction on the previous post... substitute 3.0.x where you see 3.0.7.

Also, you say you are on Vault 3.0.6, you should upgrade as soon as possible. There is a race condition in the Vault Server, which has been fixed in Vault 3.1.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:56 am

jclausius wrote:A quick correction on the previous post... substitute 3.0.x where you see 3.0.7.

Also, you say you are on Vault 3.0.6, you should upgrade as soon as possible. There is a race condition in the Vault Server, which has been fixed in Vault 3.1.
Ok, now you're scaring me :shock:

Let's get a few facts straight:

1. I can upgrade the server only to 3.1 and all my existing 3.0.6 client will still work. This includes not only GUI Client but command line clients, vaultplugins service, and vault nant tasks

2. By upgrading the server only I will have removed the race condition.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:12 am

ismangil wrote:1. I can upgrade the server only to 3.1 and all my existing 3.0.6 client will still work. This includes not only GUI Client but command line clients, vaultplugins service, and vault nant tasks
Yes. But with all the improvements made in the Vault clients, I would recommend upgrading them as well. I'm not sure what kind of demand this places on you, but you could always roll out client upgrades in stages.
ismangil wrote:2. By upgrading the server only I will have removed the race condition.
Yes.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

ismangil

Post by ismangil » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:31 am

jclausius wrote:
ismangil wrote:1. I can upgrade the server only to 3.1 and all my existing 3.0.6 client will still work. This includes not only GUI Client but command line clients, vaultplugins service, and vault nant tasks
Yes. But with all the improvements made in the Vault clients, I would recommend upgrading them as well. I'm not sure what kind of demand this places on you, but you could always roll out client upgrades in stages.
Excellent. Yes, that's what I meant by the above statement. I will want to roll it out in stages.
jclausius wrote:
ismangil wrote:2. By upgrading the server only I will have removed the race condition.
Yes.
Even better.

Right, now to convince everybody else that source control downtime is needed :)

joshyeager

Post by joshyeager » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:06 am

We are still running 3.0.1, do we need to worry about the race condition mentioned above? If not, we are probably going to wait for 3.2...

Thanks,
Josh